[NFBMD] Online 2020 Census

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Thu Mar 19 02:01:21 UTC 2020

We just filled out the online version of the 2020 census. They recommend
using JAWS and the latest version of Internet Explorer, but I had somewhat
better results using Firefox. You can do this online, but you need to pay
attention.
When you get your snail-mail census information, it includes a 12-character
alphanumeric code that you use to log into the my2020census.gov website.
This 12-character code indicates the address that will be associated with
your house or apartment, your household.
I actually had to quit the census form and start over, because I caught
myself in a trap from which I could find no exit. I somehow had two Lloyd
Rasmussens and a Judy Rasmussen in the house, and didn't find a way to
remove one copy of myself!
The second attempt was successful. Once I was on the right track, this
"ten-minute" process probably took me 30 minutes. One confusing item on the
online forms is that, in several places, you begin a section by pressing a
"start button." This, of course, is the same name that is used for a feature
of the Windows desktop, and I don't remember anyone using this particular
terminology on a website.
I would say that the online census form is technically accessible, but the
usability and unambiguousness of web-based questionnaires like this can
always be improved. It is possible to submit your information online, by
snail mail or by phone. If you go the online route, your information isn't
really committed to the system until you hit a Submit button. You cannot
stop the process and come back into it in a later browser session. Since
we're all at home, there should be plenty of time to provide this
information accurately and completely. I would not discourage people from
using the online census form. All of it is text-based. You should be able to
succeed if you read carefully and pay attention to the order and grouping of
items.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD