[NFBMD] agenda release and register for Get on BASE workshop SEP 18

james.garret.mooney at gmail.com james.garret.mooney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:24:45 UTC 2021

MARYLAND ORGANIZATION OF PARENTS OF BLIND CHILDREN

GET ON B.A.S.E. - September 18, 2021

Workshop on Behavior, Ableism, Security, and Expectations

WELCOME FROM MDOPBC AND MDABS

Thank you for joining the Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children
and the Maryland Association of Blind Students for our Get on B.A.S.E
workshop. Participants will learn how to instill proper social cues, how to
combat ableism, staying safe with technology, and the expectations revolving
around consent. Parents and children will split off into two separate groups
and attend sessions covering the same topics. Only students over the age of
14 are permitted to register and participate in the student activities.

Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children Board of Directors

President, Garret Mooney

First-Vice President, Teresa Graham

Second-Vice President, Christine Day

Secretary, Melisa Sheeder

Treasurer, Bill Jacobs

Board Member, Stephanie Cascone

Board Member, Monica Rao

Board Member, Heather Guy

Board Member, Melisa Riccobono

ACCESSING THE WORKSHOP

We were hoping to have the workshop in person. Due to COVID-19 restrictions,
it will be held via Zoom. Click on the imbedded links in the agenda to
launch the Zoom desktop client or mobile application.  Alternatively, dial
301-715-8592 and enter the ten- or eleven-digit Conference ID listed in the
agenda followed by the pound key.

REGISTRATION AND MEMBERSHIP

Please register for the workshop by visiting the link below:

<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc_TU93Yi8A2pcIN4vGqy4WdFaetATvFLT
tWbe3NlHUknWYlg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc_TU93Yi8A2pcIN4vGqy4WdFaetATvFLTt
Wbe3NlHUknWYlg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0

Join or renew your membership! Dues cost $15 for the whole family. Note that
membership dues for MDABS is a separate membership registration and we
encourage all students to become members of our student division.  You can
pay your membership dues to either MDOPBC or MDABS by visiting the link
below:

 <http://www.nfbmd.org/join> http://www.nfbmd.org/join

SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 18

WORKSHOP ON BEHAVIOR, ABLEISM, SECURITY, AND EXPECTATIONS

GET ON B.A.S.E. Workshop - 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM EST

Meeting ID:
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83795431438?pwd=eHFrM21TSEljYW9qa0hER1BQZ2ExQT09>
837 9543 1438

10:15 AM-Pre-Registration

Parents can come to our Zoom workshop before it starts and register for our
event. In addition, parents can meet other families.

10:30 AM-Opening Remarks and Board Introductions

Garret Mooney, President Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children

10:40 AM-Session 1: Behavior

Many blind children do not know certain social cues due to the inability to
see social interactions. During this session, parents will learn how to
teach their child about facial expressions, body language, and understand
personal space. Parents will also learn about blindisms, what are they, when
are they acceptable to engage in, and how they can inhibit your child's
social life. Encouraging social skills-verbal and non-verbal
communications-in our blind children is important, so they will be able to
present themselves as confident blind adults.

Karen Anderson, Education Programs Coordinator, National Federation of the
Blind

11:40 AM-Session 2: Safety

The internet and technology as a whole have created new opportunities for
blind people. During this session, parents will learn the many ways blind
children can connect with other blind children. At the same time, parents
will also learn what steps they will need to take to ensure their children
are being safe. For example, what information to share, protecting personal
information from hackers, and staying safe on social media.

Danielle McCann, Social Media Coordinator, National Federation of the Blind

12:40 PM-Session 3: Ableism

Ableism is the discrimination of and social prejudice against people with
disabilities based on the belief that typical abilities are superior. At its
heart, ableism is rooted in the assumption that disabled people require
'fixing' and defines people by their disability. During this session,
parents will learn what ableism looks like such as framing blindness as a
tragedy/inspiration or asking invasive questions about a person's blindness.
At the end of the meeting, parents will know how to recognize ableism and
what actions they can take to educate family, friends, and the public.

Anil Lewis, Executive Director for Blindness Initiatives, National
Federation of the Blind

1:40 PM-Session 4: Expectations

Consent is the notion that we should respect one another's boundaries, in
order to be safe, preserve dignity, and build healthy relationships. For our
last session, parents will learn how they can teach their children about
consent, what physical touch is acceptable, what to do if boundaries are
violated, and how power over one's body can empower a person.

2:30 PM-End of Seminar

Thank you to our speakers and guests who participated in our workshop from
around the state of Maryland and country. This seminar could not be a
success without the volunteers who help run the seminar-thanks so much for
your commitment. It is such a wonderful opportunity to meet new friends and
catch up with old ones.

Board of Directors

Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children

BEYOND THE SEMINAR: CONNECT WITH US

Stay connected. Below are some ways to continue the conversation.

Find us on social media in our private Facebook group:
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/935679223195091> Maryland Parents of Blind
Children

Follow the  <https://www.facebook.com/MDABS.federation> Maryland Association
of Blind Students - MDABS

Join the MDPOBC - Maryland Parents of Blind Children email list serv at
<https://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/mdpobc_nfbnet.org>

Plan to attend the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland State
Convention. The state convention, which includes a parent seminar, will be
at the Holiday Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor (formerly Crown Plaza) in
Baltimore from November 12-14, 2021. Learn more at
<file:///C:/Users/Employee.JI-LAPTOP6/Downloads/nfbmd.org> nfbmd.org.

Thank you for your participation!

Garret

James G. Mooney

President, Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children

(480) 433-8003

james.garret.mooney at gmail.com