[NFBMD] Blind and Sighted Adults needed for paid research opportunity studying smart glasses and data sharing

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Mon Jun 13 20:33:34 UTC 2022

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

Smart glasses and data sharing participant solicitation announcement
Our research team at the Human Computer Interaction Lab at the University of Maryland is studying assistive smart glasses for blind people and inclusive data-driven methods to build AI technology. For this study, we are looking for participants who are blind and at least 18 years of age. At the same time, we are recruiting household members who live with those blind participants, so please share this information with your household members if you are interested in participating in this study.
Blind participants will be asked to join a total of four sessions, each conducted on separate days (1-7 days apart). If you choose to participate in these sessions, you will be asked to perform some tasks that are typical of daily technology interaction and answer questions regarding your perceptions towards AI technology and data as in collecting, maintaining, and sharing study data. All sessions will be conducted via Zoom or a video conferencing tool that is most accessible to you. Only in the second out of the four sessions, you will be asked to use a prototype app in your home. The app works on smart glasses and is meant to help with object recognition.
If a member of your household chooses to participate, they will only join us in two sessions, which are conducted on separate days (2-7 days apart). They will be asked questions regarding their perception towards the smart glasses and AI in general. These sessions will be conducted via Zoom or a video conferencing tool of their choice.
The time commitment for each study session will vary from 1 to 3 hours. All responses will be kept confidential and will be used for our research purposes. All participants (you and a member of your household) will be compensated in cash with $15 per study participation hour.
If you are interested in participating or have any questions about the study, please email us at kyungjun at umd.edu<mailto:kyungjun at umd.edu>. Please also share this information with your household members and ask them to reach out to us directly in this email if they are interested. Please note that we cannot guarantee the confidentiality of email.

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer