[NFBMD] Next TLC Chapter Meeting on Monday, September 19 (Virtual) Featuring a Discussion of Robert Leslie Newman's Thought Provoker "What Is Help?"

Ellen Ringlein germlish77 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 02:47:54 UTC 2022

Dear TLC Chapter Members and Friends,

Our next TLC chapter meeting is just around the corner. We will be meeting
virtually this month. Please join us on Monday, August 19, at 7:00 PM via
Zoom (Zoom details are at the end of this message). We will be talking about
what is going on at NFB at the chapter, affiliate, and national levels.
Hindley Williams will be giving us "A Hint from a Member."

This month we will be discussing Robert Leslie Newman's Thought Provoker:
"What Is Help?" The text follows below my signature.

To dial into the meeting, call 301-715-8592. Once the call connects and you
are prompted, you will then need to enter the meeting ID, which is: 621 542
3034. The link is:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6215423034You can also simply tap the following
number on your smart phone:

+13017158592,,6215423034#

We look forward to talking with you all via Zoom on Monday.

Cordially,

Ellen Ringlein, Secretary

National Federation of the Blind TLC Chapter

What Is Help

     "Excuse me. It's hard to know how much help you people need." The
Service Desk clerk said, handing me the phone, which I had asked to use. Her
first

response had been, "what number do you want?"

     I used the long white cane to line up to ascend the steps into the city
bus.

     "Good morning!" The driver greeted me. "Watch your step."

     Later the bus made a right and encountered an unforgettable "dip," and
I knew we were on 16th street. I got ready to get off at the third street
up.

     At the stop I was third in line for the front door. The driver said,
"Good bye," to each of the people in front of me as they passed him. To me
he

said, "Watch your step."

     Nearing the first street I would need to cross I could hear that the
traffic pattern was against me. Stopping, I only had to wait about thirty
seconds

and the flow of cars moving across in front ceased and the cars on the left,
the paralleling street moved ahead.

     "The Light's green!" A guy said as he came up along side.

     "Yup, that's an easy one to tell, friend." I answered, stepping out.

     "Huh?" He responded and I knew by the tone he didn't get it, but there
wasn't time to explain.

     Not a block later a car slowed, pulled close to the curb and speaking
through the open side window, a woman asked, "Where is Dodge Street?"

     Pointing to the north, I said, "Two streets over."

     Approaching the front doors of the building in which I worked, noticing
I was the first of several to want to enter, I held the door after opening

it. Three or four people passed through voicing their "Thanks." The last guy
in line tried to take the door from me saying, "I'll get it." His message

clear that he wanted to take over.

     I grinned and shook my head "No."

Inside the same guy had the inner door open so I said, "Thanks, turn-about
is fair play."

     I joined several others in the elevator. A guy positioned near the
control panel punched in everyone's floor request. General conversation
started

up as the doors began closing, when there came rapid footsteps and a hurried
voice said, "Hold it please!"

     The guy who had been manning the buttons was busy talking, so I stuck
my arm out and purposefully bumped the leading edge of the nearly closed
door

and it retracted.

     "I got it!" The button guy said.

     Up stairs we all went our separate ways. Inside our office, door
clicking closed behind me, I let out a big sigh.

     Toni, our receptionist spoke up, "How's it going?"