[NFBMD] Summer Employment Opportunities at BISM

Nikki Jackson njackson at BISM.org
Mon Apr 3 15:04:21 UTC 2023

Hello all:

We at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland (BISM) are very excited to offer an entirely new 4-week program this summer!

The STAR (students Training in Advocacy and Responsibility) Program is a 4-week, fully residential program that aids blind and low vision students in developing a true understanding of the career choices available to them. Through an experiential learning approach, we will be exposing students to a new industry each week, exploring the career options within the industry, attending job site tours, and completing real-life tasks and activities in that profession. The industries covered during the program are Education, Engineering, Hospitality, and Business. Some activities and areas of focus include 3D printing, hotel management, glass blowing, and business creation.

As a potential staffer in the STAR Program, your role will be to serve as a leader and role model, all while having fun as we explore Baltimore, Washington DC, and Houston, Texas. Participants and staffers in the program will be traveling to the National Federation of the Blind's National Convention in Houston, Texas during the week of July 1st as well. We are looking for enthusiastic, positively minded, caring people to work and make a positive difference in the lives of blind teens.

Applications are to be completed and submitted by April 15. Interviews will be conducted via telephone and are anticipated to take place in the beginning of May. If selected to work in STAR, you will be asked to give BISM permission to perform a comprehensive background check as well.

  *   Program location: Residential program based in Baltimore, Maryland (you do not need to reside in Maryland to apply as a staffer)
  *   Program Dates: June 18 to July 15 (including weekends)
  *   Staff Training: June 13 to June 18
  *   Pay for 4-week staffing: $3,000 to $3,500.

You can find the position responsibilities and additional details at the application page linked below.
STAR Program Staff Application <https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FTfEz2BEDvcFimrBn8&data=05%7C01%7Cnjackson%40BISM.org%7C6d2231d2c20f41980b2f08db3161f929%7Cc5c772bfed19480494b59c08983fc521%7C0%7C0%7C638158069081574905%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=CTPXGKgWw3KpMNbYGtxgCQMWRzynsCXpNa5qEsCLU74%3D&reserved=0>

If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to Juhi Narula at jnarula at bism.org<mailto:jnarula at bism.org> or call 410-737-2642.

Best,

Nikki Jackson

Nikki Jackson She/Her
Communications Manager
Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
3345 Washington Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21227
Phone: 410-737-2615
Email: njackson at bism.org<mailto:njackson at bism.org>
 "We Positively Change People's Attitudes About Blindness."

Find us on the web at : https://www.bism.org/

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BISMpage/

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BISM_Blind

Check us out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlindIndustriesBISM