[NFBMD] Urgent Legislative Alert: HB0107 - Better Bus Services Act

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Tue Feb 20 22:28:43 UTC 2024

All,

We learned that the House Subcommittee on Motorvehicle and Transportation in
the Environment and Transportation Committee is contemplating amending our
bill to remove monitoring of bus stops and curb cuts.  Those are the very
parts of the bill that would make this a disability bill.  We need you to
call or write the members of the subcommittee right away to tell them not to
amend the bill to remove bus stops and curb cuts from monitoring.

You might say something like:

Dear Delegate,

I'm writing to urge you to leave curb cuts and bus stops in the coverage of
HB0107, as vehicles that block curb cuts and bus stop prevent people who
have disabilities, including blindness, like me, from being able to safely
and independently travel in the community.  When a vehicle blocks a bus stop
that I am trying to use, I often don't know that the bus is pulling up
elsewhere, because I rely on the audio announcements to know where the bus
is and which bus it is.  If it doesn't pull up where it is supposed to pull
up, I don't know it is there and miss it.  This is also problematic for
those using wheelchairs and other mobility devices, as bus stops are built
for sufficient clearance for a mobility device and the bus ramp, whereas
other locations along the street may have obstructions.  Finally, curb cuts
are necessary for independent mobility for pedestrians with disabilities,
and they too need to remain unobstructed.

Please resist amending HB0107 to remove bus stops and curb cuts from the
bill.

Regards,

[Your name]

You should send an email and/or call everyone on the subcommittee.  They are
listed below, and their email addresses are firstname.last
name at house.state.md.us <mailto:name at house.state.md.us> , and their phone
numbers are 410-841-xxxx.

Chair: Sara Love - Ext. 3454

Jackie Addison - Ext. 3551