[NFBMD] Day in Annapolis! Here We Go!

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Thu Jan 18 04:18:10 UTC 2024

Friends,

The time has come for our return in person to the Maryland State Capitol.
We're just hours away from our kick-off meeting in the House Judiciary
Hearing Room at 8AM January 18, 2024.

I'm attaching the Legislative Priorities Fact Sheets.  In addition, below is
some additional information that may be useful to you.

Accessible Voting

*	The lead sponsor in the Senate is Senator Benjamin Brooks.
*	The lead sponsor in the House is Delegate Jessica Feldmark.
*	The bill has not yet been released from Bill Drafting, so there is
no number yet.  Thus, we can get cosponsors now, and those interested in
cosponsoring should reach out to either Senator Brooks or Delegate Feldmark.
*	The bill will be heard by the Senate Triple E Committee (Education,
Energy, and Environment ) - the fourth E for Elections is silent.
*	The bill will be heard by the House Ways and Means Committee.

Better Bus Services Act

*	The lead sponsor in the House is Delegate Robbyn Lewis.
*	The lead sponsor in the Senate is Senate Ariana Kelly.
*	The bill has not yet been released from Bill Drafting, so there is
no number yet.  Thus, we can get cosponsors now, and those interested in
cosponsoring should reach out to either Senator Kelly or Delegate Lewis.
*	The bill will be heard by the Judicial Procedings (JPR) Committee in
the Senate.
*	The bill will be heard by the Environment and Transportation (E&T)
in the House.

Textbook Equity Act

*	The lead sponsor in the Senate is Senator Ron Watson.
*	The lead sponsor in the House is Delegate Denise Roberts.
*	The bill has not yet been released from Bill Drafting, so there is
no number yet.  Thus, we can get cosponsors now, and those interested in
cosponsoring should reach out to either Senator Watson or Delegate Roberts.
*	The bill will be heard by the Senate Triple E Committee (Education,
Energy, and Environment ).
*	The bill will be heard by the House Ways and Means Committee.

Center for Excellence in Nonvisual Access

*	This is not a bill, so there are no sponsors.
*	The Governor's proposed budget was just released this afternoon, and
we are awaiting confirmation that the $250,000 appropriation is in the
budget.
*	The Senate committee with jurisdiction is the Budget & Tax
Committee.
*	The House committee with jurisdiction is the Appropriations
Committee.

In terms of activities, please remember:

1.	Those available to join me at the State House to meet with the
Speaker of the House should arrive by 11:25 in order to have time to get
through security.
2.	Those available to come to the photo op with Senator Muse should be
outside of the Senate JPR Committee Room (2 East Miller) by 12:40.  He
thinks it's a photo op, but we know better.
3.	Those available to join me at the State House to meet with the
Senate President can walk over with me from the Muse photo op.

In addition, the tunnels connecting the House and Senate have reopened, so
there is no need to go outside to get between the chambers.  The Cantina is
in the basement of the Senate, and you can purchase both hot and cold food.
The tunnels to the State House are still closed for construction though, so
we have to walk outside to get back and forth from either chamber to the
State House.

Vans will leave the Center and the New Carrollton Metro Station at 6:45AM
(so if you're up late reading this, go to bed).  We expect to return by 8PM.
We'll meet for dinner and debriefing at Buddy's.  Don't forget your $25 for
dinner.

If you need anything while at the General Assembly, call or text (text is
preferred) me at 708-829-0523.

I'm so excited about our 2024 legislative efforts, and it's going to be a
fabulous year!

Ronza

Ronza Othman, President

443-426-4110