[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Action needed to help Disabled Veterans

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 15:24:46 UTC 2014

Hello All,

Please send an email or make phone calls as directed by Lauren, read below.
We have a chance to get space available past this year.  Blind and Disabled
Veterans deserve this benefit.  Let's make it happen.  Please take action
today, Dec. 9 or tomorrow Dec. 10.

Thanks,

Sharon Maneki

I have an important update on the Space Available bill.  As you know, it
successfully passed in the House as part of the National Defense
Authorization Act (NDAA), and we have been waiting for the Senate version of
NDAA to move so we could amend it into that as well.  However, we have run
into the same problem as last year: the Senate has done NDAA almost
exclusively behind closed doors and is unlikely to allow floor amendments!
Worse, we heard there is controversy over parts of NDAA that is jeopardizing
if it will even pass at all!  This is our chance to pass Space A - S. 346
has 19 cosponsors and no opposition, it passed in the House, and NDAA is the
perfect vehicle for it - let's mobilize and get this thing done.

We need everyone to do two things. 1) Call Senator Tester's office
(202-224-2644) or email his staffers (dylan_laslovich at tester.senate.gov
<mailto:dylan_laslovich at tester.senate.gov>  and Jorge_Rueda at hsgac.senate.gov
<mailto:Jorge_Rueda at hsgac.senate.gov> ) and urge them to file Space
Available as an amendment to NDAA. If amendments are allowed, Space A needs
to be in line for consideration! 2) Please call Senator Levin's committee
office (202) 224-3871) or email his staffer
(jonathan_clark at armed-services.senate.gov
<mailto:jonathan_clark at armed-services.senate.gov> ) to urge them to include
Space Available in NDAA.

We can't allow Space Available to sit on the shelf for yet another year,
collecting dust and cosponsors, while the right vehicle to move it keeps
circling the block and refusing to pick up amendments. That would mean a
procedural problem stopped this bill, rather than any real problem with the
actual bill itself. Please speak up on behalf of blind veterans and help us
get Space Available in NDAA!