[Nfbmdtlc-chapter] Interesting timely information

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 18 16:58:56 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I wanted to share the following information that president Riccobono sent to
affiliate presidents. It is both interesting and timely. I am also including
information on a Hadley/NASA presentation. Enjoy!

"Solar Eclipse:
Next Monday, a total solar eclipse will pass across the United States. The
eclipse soundscape project (http://eclipsesoundscapes.org./) is providing a
unique opportunity to experience the eclipse nonvisually through haptic
feedback using a rumble map, and through audio descriptions unlocked in real
time as the eclipse moves overhead. Due to the change in light, nocturnal
animals stir into action, while diurnal animals settle. As the sun's light
re-emerges, it often triggers a "false dawn chorus," recordings of which
will be gathered from across the country and shared in the wake of the
eclipses passing. An accessible iPhone app is already available, and an
Android app is coming soon. For those without a smartphone, MP3 files will
be available from the eclipse soundscape project's website.
Eclipse Booklets:
We were very pleased to be able to circulate 321 copies of Getting a Feel
for Eclipses, a tactile-graphic guide to the solar eclipse, to members in
over a dozen states. These tactile graphics are nonvisual representations of
how eclipses occur, what they look like, and the path that the great
American eclipse will take across the United States on Monday. The guides
were designed by the College of Charleston and NASA Solar System Exploration
Research Virtual Institute, and produced by Hapticallyspeaking.com.
Origins of the NFB Pledge:
A recent request was made to the tenBroek Library staff to research how the
National Federation of the Blind pledge was created. Federationists recite
our pledge at every chapter meeting, state convention, and national
convention. The pledge that we all know and use today came about during the
1974 NFB National convention. Dr. Kenneth Jernigan first spoke about the
idea of a formal pledge to show one's support for the organization during
that year's Presidential Report. He also hosted a special reception during
that convention, complete with a receiving line including the entire NFB
Executive Committee, now known as the NFB Board of Directors. Every member
who walked through that receiving line received an official NFB membership
card with these words printed on the back:
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution."

Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired/NASA Team-up:

https://hadley.edu/Eclipse.asp
"To help you better understand and more fully appreciate the August 21 total
eclipse, Hadley has teamed up with NASA scientists to bring expert insights
right to you.
Register below to access the on demand, recorded version of the presentation
"Explore the Solar Eclipse with NASA." The presentation will be made
available to you immediately upon registration. You will also receive an
emailed link to the presentation to allow you to review it later at your
convenience."

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.