[NFBMDTLC-Chapter] October Minute Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 26 15:23:05 UTC 2018

October 2018 Minute Message

Fellow Federationists:

Ready to Go Down the Ocean, Hon?

In two short weeks we will be at our state convention at the Carousel hotel
in Ocean City.  As you think about packing your bags, don't forget to bring
your NFB Swag (shirts, hats, scarves, etc.) for spirit night on Friday,
November 9.  Get ready to try hockey with the Washington Wheelers.  Join our
NFB cheer leaders and demonstrate our Maryland spirit.  Don't forget to
bring door prizes and items for our bake auction.  Of course, bring money
too.

Where else can you go to a picnic and a play at the same time get in the
holiday mood?  Our picnic and a play on Friday evening at 6:00 PM does just
that.  The Braille is Beautiful performers have been busy practicing Santa
Rides Again.

In addition to fun and fellowship, the convention will be filled with
information and inspiration.   The full convention agenda will be on
www.nfbmd.org early next week.  The agenda is already on NFB NEWSLINE.
Select the local channel and then select the State Convention.  Everyone is
invited to attend the Board of Directors meeting at noon on Friday.  The
resolutions committee will meet immediately after the board meeting.  Anyone
may submit a resolution for consideration by the committee.  All resolutions
must be submitted to the committee chairman, Jesse Hartle, by Friday
November 2.  His email address is jesse.hartle63 at gmail.com.

Would you like to use Aira for free during the convention? You can use it in
the hotel or across the street at Ocean City Square Shopping Center (that
contains such things as Food Lion and Dunkin Donuts).  If you don't know
what Aira is, come to the exhibit hall and check it out.

Would you like to be able to stream television programs?  The access
technology team of the National Federation of the Blind will show you some
products to stream tv.  These are only a few examples of the great
information available in the exhibit hall.  All of our divisions will be
holding meetings throughout the convention.  We will have two informative
workshops.  One is on using GPS hardware and apps.  The other addresses how
to keep more of your money for the good things in life.

Conventions always provide opportunities to think about how blindness is not
what holds you back.  The Kernel Story Hour will provide food for thought as
we discuss stories about how blind people live their lives every day.
Blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Adelmo
Vigil, our national representative, is sure to address this belief and more
during his banquet address.  By the way, the grand prize at our banquet this
year will be two round trip air fare  tickets to Las Vegas, Nevada, so that
the winner can attend our national convention On July 7-12, 2019.

Since I am not running for reelection this year, this is my last minute
message to you as president.  Thank you very much for all of the love and
support you have extended to me over the years.  I am sure you will do the
same for my successor.  I know we will have a great convention.  I look
forward to seeing each of you in Ocean City on November 9-11.

Important Dates.

November 9-11 - Annual State Convention, Carousel Hotel, Ocean City, MD.

March 8, 2019 - Basket and Bag Bingo,  The Lodge, 2832 Nine Mile Circle,
Catonsville, MD.

July 7-12, 2019 - National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada.

August 14, 2019 - Annual Crab Feast.  Note:  New location.   Tall Cedars,
2501 Putty Hill Ave., Parkville, MD 21234 .

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596

blindness is not what holds you back.