[nfbmi-talk] College Policy

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 06:52:31 UTC 2009

Hi Geri,

Thanks for the reply.  I understand your fatigue and, after a point, the
urge to just say *!(* it.  (smile)  Regardless of any of that, the NFB will
keep working until the policy is the best it can be.

Maybe, we need a different approach.  How about saying that the client and
counselor develop the best program to get the student the best possible
degree in the most efficient time at the college that is the very best that
the student can get into.  Or the Commission will provide all the necessary
services to assure that all third party resources are used along with
Commission resources to assist blind persons to achieve their maximum
educational and vocational potentials by working affirmatively with
educational institutions to assure accommodations are provided and that
students have full and equal access to all services and programs of the
institution.  Another suggestion is to say that MCB will assure that all
students are fully prepared to enter college with reading, travel, daily
living skills at levels similar to the general student body (that may be too
low) and will provide financial, material, advocacy and related services
such that MCB clients may reach their maximum educational and vocational
potentials.  After graduation the Commission will do all that is possible to
assist the client to secure a good-paying job in their chosen profession in
a timely manner.  I realize these are terrible sentences, but they do
convey, off the top of my flat head, the idea of what a customer centered
policy could look like.  No bad people, no mean spirited gotchas, just a
hard-driving effort to make the world a better place for blind people.

In other words, let's dispense with threats, penalties, sanctions and
arbitrary limitations.  Let's focus on success, competence, a belief in
blind people, an expectation of excellence.  Let's not make the
client/student relationship adversarial.  Let's make it collaborative and
team oriented so that we graduate the maximum number of blind people from
programs of higher education possible.  This includes vocational training in
trades and occupations which meet the client's interests and needs.  What is
wrong with being positive, optimistic and friendly?

Let's let the counselors do what they are trained to do - help blind people
get jobs.  The "I" in IPE means for the counselor to have flexibility and
discretion in helping clients succeed.  Let's not micromanage this
relationship.