[nfbmi-talk] pine knob skiing for the blind

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 18:23:50 UTC 2009

      OPTICAL ILLUSIONS

      the Michigan Blind Skiers Association

      December 2009 Newsletter

      CONTENTS:

      *Pre-Season Membership Meeting Rescheduled

      *Skiing Start Date

      *Guide Clinic

      *Board Meeting

      *Sad News

      *Member News

      *Note From the Secretary

      *Board Member Contact Information

      ***

      Pre-Season General Membership Meeting (GMM)

      The meeting originally scheduled for Saturday December 19, 2009 that would have kept us in compliance with our Constitution is cancelled. A vote was taken at the board meeting and the pre-season GMM was rescheduled. It will be 2 weeks into the season on Sunday January 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM after skiing at Pine Knob.

      ***

      Skiing Start Date

      Our ski season will start on January 10, 2010. If you missed the letter from Pine Knob in last month's newsletter, Rob Shick said, ".Also, please stress to the guides that they need to commit to skiing at least 24 hours in advance of the following ski day so that we can have a complimentary lift ticket set aside for them."

      To satisfy Pine Knob's requirement, it is requested that both skiers and guides send an email each week you intend to ski to oipresident at gmail.com. A confirmation email will be returned. If you do not receive the confirmation, please call Jimbo at (248) 373-5294. A head count, rental count and a list of the skier and guide teams will be submitted to Pine Knob. Both the skier and their guide must be present at the window to receive their lift ticket. Tickets will be available at 9:00 AM. It is recommended you arrive by 8:30 AM on the first day to complete the registration process. No tickets will be issued after 10:00 AM.

      ***

      Guide Clinic

      The guide clinic is tentatively scheduled for Friday evening January 8, 2010. Details are still being worked out with Pine Knob, which is the reason for this delayed newsletter. We will let you know as soon as the details are finalized.

      ***

      Board Meeting

      A board meeting was held at Tim Hortons in Clarkston on December 6, 2009. Items of note:

      A vote was taken and Pat Gasiecki was selected to fill the Trustee vacancy.

      As a UPS employee, Stephen Brown was allowed to submit a grant request from OI to the UPS Foundation. He was at the meeting to present a check from the Foundation.  The money is earmarked as follows:

      Transportation for the blind for program activities

      Pine Knob Ski School Instruction for the blind

      Pine Knob Ski School Guide Training

      Non-skiing recreational/social activity - (Family Fun Day Picnic)

      Pine Knob Appreciation Day

      ***

      Sad News

      A tragic event has fallen upon Dan Rouse's fiancée Elizabeth Scott. Elizabeth suffered a seizure and had surgery to remove a tumor from her brain. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Elizabeth and Dan.

      ***

      Member News

      Brunhilde Merk Adam underwent surgery to fix a broken leg. We extend get well wishes to her and we hope for a speedy recovery.

      ***

      Note From the Secretary

      A friendly reminder: please delete my old work email address and phone number and use my Yahoo e-mail address for OI business. I apologize if there are any delays in my replies to correspondence. I will try to check this account regularly, but in most cases, a reply would not come on the same day. Thank you for your understanding.

      My Yahoo e-mail address is:

      Lmdemchak at yahoo.com

      Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

      Raini Demchak

      OI Secretary

      ***

      Contact Information for 2008-2010 -- OI Board Members:

      Jim Przybylo, President, (248) 373-5294-Home

      oipresident at gmail.com

      Scott Talcott, Vice Pres, (586) 752-7294-Home

      micaels at usol.com

      Raini Demchak, Secretary, (313) 874-3281-Home

      Lmdemchak at yahoo.com

      Dawn DeRose, Treasurer, (313) 872-5298-Home

      misderose at att.net

      Kenny Gasiecki, Trustee, (248) 828-7256-Home

      kgas75 at yahoo.com

      Dan Mullan, Trustee, (734) 524-9044-Work

      danthehouseman at teleweb.net

      Pat Gasiecki, Trustee, (248) 828-7256-Home

      csdmichigan at hotmail.com