[nfbmi-talk] i got these recordings thru this foia request

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 00:29:57 UTC 2010

I suggest that others submit similar FOIA requests...
March 29, 2010

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Phone: 810-516-5262

E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net

Re: Freedom of Information Act Request MCB Recordings/Meetings

c/o Patrick Cannon

Director Michigan Commission for the Blind

Via E-mail: cannonp at michigan.gov

Dear Mr. Cannon,

I am writing you today to formally request the digital recordings of the past two Michigan Commission for the Blind quarterly or "regular" meetings which were indeed recorded as they were streamed live pursuant to obligations under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act. (As a little technical assistance on this matter I've pasted some outlines of those obligations from the Michigan Attorney General after my signature line.)   Specifically I'm requesting in toto the recordings of the December 11, 2009 and March 19, 2010 MCB meetings. I will accept them on a flashcard sent to my mailing address listed above in the winamp mp3 format that they are already recorded in.

I would also consider it both responsive to this particular request if these and all other digital recordings were posted to the MCB web site. In fact this is in the public interest; in the interest of open governance, and transparency and has been discussed, and indeed promised for years.

Regardless I'm making this request under the Michigan Freedom of Information ACT.

In addition I am making a collateral   request to receive any correspondence(s) related to this request in accessible format pursuant to obligations under both the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. As always just send formal responses via e-mail for as you know I use screen reading technology and this will suffice in these regards.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Cc: file

Cc: several

>From the Michigan Attorney General:

<http://www.ag.state.mi.us/foia_and_open_meetings/#Table of Contents>

SUMMARY OF MICHIGAN'S

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT

The following is an updated summary of the basic provisions of the Freedom

of Information Act (FOIA) as amended by 1996 PA 553. The actual text of the

statute follows in Section II.

Basic Intent:

The Freedom of Information Act regulates and sets requirements for the

disclosure of public records by all "public bodies" in the state.

Key Definitions:

"Public body" means a state officer, employee, agency, department, division,

bureau, board, commission, council, authority, or other body in the

executive branch of the state government, but does not include the governor

or lieutenant governor, the executive office of the governor or lieutenant

governor, or employees thereof. It also includes:

*       an agency, board, commission, or council in the legislative branch of the

state government;

*       a county, city, township, village, inter county, inter city, or regional

governing body, council, school district, special district, or municipal

corporation, or a board, department, commission, council or agency thereof;

or

*       any other body which is created by state or local authority or which is

primarily funded by or through state or local authority. It does not include

private non-profit corporations.

"Public record" means a writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of,

or retained by a public body in the performance of an official function,

from the time it is created.

Coverage:

The Freedom of Information Act sets requirements for the disclosure of

public records by all "public bodies" in the state. All state agencies,

county and other local governments, school boards, other boards,

departments, commissions, councils, and public colleges and universities are

covered.

Public Records Open to Disclosure:

In general, all records except those specifically cited as exceptions are

covered by the Freedom of Information Act. The records covered include

minutes of open meetings, officials' voting records, staff manuals, final

orders or decisions in contested cases and the records on which they were

made, and promulgated rules. Other written statements which implement or

interpret laws, rules or policies, including, but not limited to,

guidelines, manuals and forms with instructions, adopted or used by the

agency in the discharge of its functions, are also covered.

It does not matter what form the record is in. The act applies to any

handwriting, typewriting, printing, photostating, photographing,

photocopying and every other means of recording. It includes letters, words,

pictures, sounds or symbols, or combinations thereof, as well as papers,

maps, magnetic or punched cards, discs, drums, or other means of recording

or retaining meaningful content. It does not include computer software.