[nfbmi-talk] MPAS Michigan Rules and Reguulations

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 02:42:58 UTC 2010

Joe,

Have you seen Michigan's rules re the following?

The Secretary shall prescribe regulations applicable to the client
assistance program which shall include the following requirements:

(1) No employees of such programs shall, while so employed, serve as staff
or consultants of any rehabilitation project, program, or facility receiving
assistance under this Act in the State.

(2) Each program shall be afforded reasonable access to policymaking and
administrative personnel in the State and local rehabilitation programs,
projects, or facilities.

MPAS's behavior in sitting on the College Policy Committee as an advocate
for the agency seems to be in violation of this rule.  I may be wrong, but
it seems that did Jeanette Brown not only represent the agency against blind
people, but she gave wrong advice re the rehabilitation act and its rules.
If she were a doctor, this would be malpractice.  Is there any standard of
ethics for MPAS?  Now consider that email you sent about "assessable"
documents, when she was clearly giving you wrong and misleading advice and
failing to take your concerns seriously or attempting to resolve the issues.
Where is the ethical behavior?  Is there no shame?  Who holds MPAS
accountable?  Certainly MCB cannot reasonably monitor MPAS since MPAS should
be monitoring MCB.  Is MPAS subject to state or federal audits?  Are there
such audits or monitoring reports available?

Thanks for sending the law.  Sooner or later we will find a sympathetic ear
and these people will be dealt with, even if we have to go to court to sue
the advocates who should be suing on our behalf over the wrongful behavior
of MCB.  Again, thanks.

Warmest Regards,

Fred