[nfbmi-talk] Imagination Fund Grant

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 00:21:08 UTC 2010

Dear Elizabeth,
   It is critical that the State affiliate apply for an Imagination grant
based on several factors.  First, I agree it should never be to assist or
benefit another organization without great benefit to the NFBM.  I also
agree that funding programs connected with Camp T has not generated the kind
of long term results that are a beneficial to us.  Secondly, I am sure that
assisting the student ddivision with the scholarships or assisting people to
the Washington Seminar could be hhelpful, but like th Camp T programs, such
funding in the past has net benefit the NFBM in the long term.  Finally, I
agree that a quick and meaningful decision must be made.  No application for
funds should go in form Michigan without a clear message  from the NFBM that
this is the application that we support and are willing to implement.
   I guess I have reached the conclusion that just giving assistance to
people does not produce workers and leaders.  Mentoring programs that bring
knowledge and purpose to persons about the Federation and why we exist,and
why we must continue to fight for the rights and opportunities of the blind
should always be a part of what we do.  Thus, any funded program needs to
assure us as members of the NFBM that weare investing in peoples commitment
to not only succeed in ones own life, but to be one who will stand along the
side of others and help them to achieve success as well.
   Therefore, the youth programs should help the student division and local
chapters, the student division should bring leadership and work to the
affiliate and local chapters, local chapters need to assist the
strengthening to the affiliate and the State affiliate leaders must bring
all of us together with common effort and purpose.  Knowing who we are and
why we need the Federation in our lives is critical to growing this
organization form to to bottom and form side to side.  That is why we are
priviledged to have Imagination grants available to us.  Let's use it
wisely.

Dave Robinson