[nfbmi-talk] Imagination Fund Grant

Donna Posont donnabutterfly50 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:22:39 UTC 2010

As I have been observing the discussion  for the last couple of days  I have
formed some thoughts on the subject of grant money which I would like to
share. To clarify, in 2006 the student division received the proceeds from
the auction and at the time did lots of the work in preparing for the
auction. As a board member of the division I am also aware that in the last
two years the student  division has sold hats and also raffled off a Sendero
GPS system which raised several hundred dollars. I know that some years the
state treasury supported students attending Washington seminar and some
years assistance has come from the student division treasury and often
individuals have spent their own resources to attend the seminar. I am
saying all this to say that we have had an active student group in the
recent past. While I agree that partnering with the student division is a
wondrful idea to establish a scholarship I admire the role of the students
in transitioning from youth whom are not in a position to support themselves
and moving  into independent young adults that have an independent spirit
 and have shown willingness to work on their own behalf.
As far as Camp Tuhsmeheta it is no secret that I have spent lots of time
there and have a great love for the place. What I love more than the place
is the metamorphesis I have seen in campers over and over again at camp.
Often they come in afraid to do anything independently and when they leave
they are bursting with confidence and pride because of their accomplishments
and even more than that a safe place to try where it is okay to be blind or
visually impaired. These campers have the hope of growing into adults with
that same spirit. If the National Federation of the Blind is not in support
of promoting such possibilities then I think we have missed the entire point
of what it means to be a federationist and we should all close up shop and
go home.
I am being dramatic to emphasise that there is plenty of work to be done on
all fronts and we will not gain anything by thinking that we are in
competition with each other for resources. Bottom line is that the
imagination grantsare to get us going in certain directions, but we must
have financial resources in our own state to continue the wonderful work
made possible by the grant money. ----- Original Message -----