[nfbmi-talk] FW: College policy edited board draft for 8-27 meeting

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 02:49:28 UTC 2010

Hello List,

Joe is correct. There is now only one final version of the college policy that will be considered at the board meeting next Friday. I honestly fail to understand how this committee is suppose to work because everything I hear that the committee is suppose to do never seems to end up happening. It is almost as if they can never really make up their mind about how to run things except for the fact that they seem rather adamant about passing the policy a certain way. I am deeply opposed to this final draft for so many reasons that I cannot even begin to count.

Their attempt to include the input of consumers and college students only seems to be an empty promise. Just look at the list of names who edited the final draft. Do you see the names of any consumers or current college students listed in this list of names? They claimed that they wanted us to work with them to create this policy. In fact, at the last Commission Board meeting, they said that if we did not like how the policy was written to put our ideas and suggestions in writing, and that is exactly what we have done. However, rather than embracing this input with an open mind, it seems as though the only thing they have done with our ideas is toss them out the window without giving them a second thought.

In my opinion, it is the agency who is the driving force behind this policy because if only they could pass a new college policy, then it would make them look good in the eyes of the federal audit. If I recall correctly, it was the agency who wanted to change this policy and not the Commission Board. I still believe that their motive is to implement the new DELEG Financial Needs form which they claim needs to be a part of the policy. I can imagine that the agency wanted this policy to pass with no questions asked, but they finally found an issue that both consumers and the Commission Board feel passionate about.

Not only does the policy still include the DELEG Financial Needs form, but they have now taken out the no harm clause in regards to the Memorandum of Understanding which stated that the Michigan Commission for the Blind shall provide an accommodation or service when there is a dispute over who should provide the service or accommodation. This change was made based on the recommendation by a staff person who said that this statement was a disincentive for college and universities to provide these services. However, this statement can be found in both the Rehabilitation Act as well as the Memorandum of Understandings.

So we definitely have our work cut out for us if we want the Commission Board to pass our version of the policy rather than the one that is being presented to them by the committee. A few weeks ago, both policies were presented to the Commission Board, and they were presented to pick and choose what they liked best from each policy. Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be the case, and there is only one final draft of the policy that will be voted on during the meeting next Friday.

With this in mind, I strongly urge everyone who can to attend the meeting and voice their opinion about the college policy. Even though the Commission Board accepts public comment by email, it will be important for us to be there in person to present our public comment because the comments submitted by email are read in the afternoon. Since the discussion on the college policy is scheduled for the morning, I imagine a decision will be made on it before they read the public comments that are submitted via email.

I apologize for not sending out this message sooner. I was out of town when I received this message, and as a result, I failed to pass it on to the list in a timely manner. Personally, I am getting burned out from all of the hard work I have put into this issue.  I would greatly appreciate your support in making sure that when the Michigan Commission for the Blind passes a new college policy that it favors the rights of blind students rather than simply a means for the agency to nickel and dime services to college students. Wile I understand the power of one voice, just think of what we can accomplish if we can come together and speak with one unified voice.

Elizabeth