[nfbmi-talk] why arent' these state plans on mcb's web site???

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 14:00:35 UTC 2010

Colleagues,

I received this state plan update for 2004 from Sherry Gordon after making a request of Cannon and all on the MCB 2020 list serve. This answers many questions that commissioners rightly make of MCB over all (re: yesterday's meeting). But why in the world aren't these annual state plan updates required by the Rehab Act not routinely sent to commissioners and routinely posted in a timely manner on MCB's own web site for the public to review and inspect?

In fact this goes to my comments over the past two days at both the budget training and at yesterday's MCB meeting. I have never made the contention that MCB's web site is inaccessible (though I've documented that many other state web sites or documents therein, including DELEG's has accessibility issues in violation of the ADA among other laws and have forwarded some of those concerns to you as well as Mr. Cannon in his capacity as State ADA coordinator, which he, by the way has neither remedied those issues nor even responded with me either). Moreover, once again even this is not on MCB's own web site nor any other state plan since 1999 to this very date. Thus it is not the accessibility of MCB's web site that is the issue but the dearth of timely, and important information on it.

We the people of Michigan and that includes those of us who are blind deserve more openness and transparency about this critical VR and Independent Living agency.

Sincerely,

Joe Harcz

ATTACHMENT 4.11(B), Procedures and Activities for the Establishment and Maintenance of a Comprehensive System for Personnel Development

The Michigan Commission for the Blind (MCB) continues to maintain its commitment to having the most qualified rehabilitation professionals serving blind consumers in the State of Michigan. We still require at least a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and guidance for all new counselors being hired by the agency.

Despite this requirement, we recently experienced some difficulty meeting that goal when filling a vacancy in our most northern office in Escanaba. We had no Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)-eligible individuals apply for the position. We ended up hiring a person with over eight year’s experience as a counselor and supervisor in another state VR agency who recently graduated with a master’s degree in rehabilitation teaching. At this time, he does not meet the standards for CSPD, however, he has agreed to take the necessary coursework to make him CRC-eligible. We also have another vacancy in the Escanaba office and an opening in another northern office in Gaylord. We are hoping to find candidates with education and experience in counseling and teaching. We will do everything we can to fill these positions with persons who already have a CRC or are CRC-eligible. Still, we anticipate some difficulty in doing so. Therefore, we are seeking an extension until October 2007 for our staff to complete the necessary coursework to make them CRC-eligible.

The agency has established a minimum standard for all rehabilitation professionals that have the responsibility of performing the core duties of a counselor. Those core duties are (1) determination of eligibility, (2) developing an Individualized Plan of Employment (IPE), and (3) closing a case upon achievement of a successful outcome. Each individual providing counseling services must be eligible to sit for the CRC examination. This requires a degree (as noted above) or completion of additional graduate coursework to meet the eligibility standards for the exam as determined by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counseling Certification (CRCC) to meet the needs of section 101(a)(7)(v)(II)(B) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(c).

Eight individuals were initially identified who did not meet the minimum standard. The CRCC determined that one of those eight people had qualified for the CRC exam based on a review of her graduate transcript. That counselor still has intentions of taking the CRC exam at some point in the future.

Of the other seven, two completed the necessary coursework to become qualified rehabilitation counselors, two are currently taking classes at Wayne State University, one is taking classes at Michigan State University, one has recently retired from the State of Michigan, and one has expressed little interest in taking classes at all. One other staff person, a blind rehabilitation teacher, has taken three classes and hopes to take the remaining three in 2004 so that she can be a qualified rehabilitation counselor and possibly take the CRC exam. She is taking her coursework online from Utah State University.

All of these courses have been paid for by a grant awarded to MCB and the Michigan general agency, Michigan Rehabilitation Services. The grant covers tuition, books, fees, and travel expenses. If the person takes the class online it covers the costs of Internet service, phone bills, and perhaps even the cost of a laptop computer, if needed. A person at the general agency manages the grant. Three MCB staff persons sit on the grant advisory board.

We currently have 20 qualified rehabilitation counselors on staff. With an average VR Program count of approximately 3000, that gives us a ratio of about 150 clients for each qualified rehabilitation counselor. We have many clients who are involved in other non-vocational programs but these were not figured into the ratio. We also have those counselors who are not yet considered “qualified” under the definition discussed earlier who are still carrying caseloads so the average caseload size is less than 150.

The state of Michigan has three universities offering graduate programs in rehabilitation counseling: Michigan State University, Wayne State University, and Western Michigan University. We continue to work closely with these programs to ensure quality training for students as well as opportunities for practicums and internships. MCB staff have also been involved in the Region V task force examining ways to recruit students into these programs. We are hopeful that continued efforts with undergraduate colleges will increase the number of students entering vocational rehabilitation graduate programs. We especially focus on the recruitment of students with disabilities and/or from minority populations. With MCB staff being active on advisory boards and as adjunct and guest instructors at the three universities, we will continue to encourage and recruit students to work for the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

The table on this page shows the number of rehabilitation staff by position, ethnic background and disability status. The numbers may vary from last year’s due to several new hires, a couple of retirements, and movement of staff from one program to another. The agency currently has 10 field staff and one central office staff person with CRC certification. Several people have expressed some interest in pursuing formal certification and taking the exam. Over the next five years we estimate that 5-6 staff may decide to retire or otherwise leave the agency. Our current headcount is 91 full-time employees (FTEs). Several years ago, our total number of FTEs was around 108 but due to budget cuts in all of state government, we have not been allowed to fill all positions. Our headcount has recently been revised to 96 and we are in the process of trying to hire 3 new field staff. We continue to negotiate with the department to increase the number of employees. We continue to recruit minorities and persons with disabilities for all vacancies within the organization.

      Personnel Category
     Ethnic Category
     # with a disability

      Rehab. Counselors (19)
     13 – Caucasian

      6 – African American
     10

      Rehabilitation Teachers (5)
     5 – Caucasian
     1

      IL Program Teachers (8)
     6 – Caucasian

      1 – African American

      1 – Asian American
     3

      Supervisors (5)
     3 – Caucasian

      2 – African American
     2

      Administrative Support (11)
     6 – Caucasian

      5 – African American

      1 – Asian American
     1

      Totals (48)
     33 – Caucasian

      13 – African American

      2 – Asian American
     17

All consumers of MCB receive materials in their preferred format whenever possible. Braille, large print, computer disk, email, or audiotape can be provided upon request. The agency also has two staff who are fluent in sign language when the need arises. We can also provide interpreters and translators for individuals seeking assistance from the agency. We have made arrangements with some organizations such as the Arab-American Chaldean Council in Detroit to provide needed services. We continue to be involved with the Statewide Transition Council to provide support and services to local school districts and consumers statewide.

One of the primary resources for training funds is the In-Service Training Grant. The funding provided by that grant supplements our regular training budget to provide training for staff to improve skills and competencies. By doing so we can improve the number and quality of positive outcomes.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind provides significantly more comprehensive training programs that most other state agencies as noted in the yearly training report. The amount spent on training greatly exceeds the amount received from the In-Service Training Grant. Due to the number of retirements in recent years and the hiring of new staff, it is extremely important for us to provide training to improve the skills of those individuals and to in the retention of qualified persons within the agency.

The agency is committed to providing the training necessary for staff to more effectively perform the duties of their jobs. Through the use of in-house needs assessments, discussions directly with staff, and issues identified by managers and administrators, we are able to provide whatever training is necessary to improve staff competencies. This practice will continue during the coming year. One program that has proven to be very effective is the Discovery Learning program offered by Doug Boone and Associates. The program intends to improve the sensitivities and understanding of blindness issues in order for staff to provide better, more effective, service to consumers.

We also plan on working with the state’s general agency to provide training on American Indian issues and rehabilitation. This will be designed primarily for those counselors and teachers who live in the areas of northern Michigan where most of the tribal communities are located.

We continue to support many other programs and strongly encourage staff to attend such events as the MI Rehabilitation Conference, the Michigan Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MAER) Conference, and the Capital Quality Initiative Program (CQI). We also encourage staff to attend the statewide consumer organization conferences each year.

While we utilize the In-Service Training Grant and our own Title I funds to support various training opportunities, we rely a great deal on the expertise and resources offered by the two Region V RCEP programs. Both programs, one at Southern Illinois University and the other at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, have always provided us with excellent services and assistance in improving the knowledge and skills of our professional staff.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind receives information from the three universities in the state each year letting us know who will be graduating from their programs. This is consistent with Section 101(a)(7) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(a). We have hired several people over the past year or so and most instances we have posted an opening, we’ve had several qualified applicants. We feel that our relationships with the three universities have improved the quantity and the quality of the applicants. We have recently switched from one state department to another and due to this change have been given tentative approval to proceed with the filling of more vacant positions. We anticipate a high level of interest in these positions and should be able to hire some very capable individuals.

Succession planning as typically defined is not possible in our system. Due to current Department of Civil Service rules and policies, it is not possible to identify individuals ahead of time to replace those who decide to terminate their employment with the state. All we can do is try and prepare all those who express an interest in becoming managers and then hope that opportunities will be presented at some point down the road. We have been placing greater emphasis on developing leadership throughout the agency and continue to provide all staff with opportunities to enhance their professional development. By doing so we hope to assure the retention of qualified counselors, teachers, supervisors, and administrative support staff. The Michigan Department of Civil Service provides many different training programs for new and prospective managers and we use these as necessary. Activities are directed at maintaining capacity rather than adding capacity pursuant to 34 CFR 361.18(d)(2) (iii)(A)-(C).

We continue to recruit minorities, especially those with disabilities. The table provided earlier in this section demonstrates the diversity of our staff and we plan to continue along that path. The department’s Office of Affirmative Action has provided support and assistance to us in the recruiting and hiring of minority candidates. We do all we can to retain qualified minority staff and individuals with disabilities by offering good working conditions and opportunities for continuous professional development pursuant to Section 101(a)(7)(A)(iv)(II) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(b).

The Administrator of the Consumer Services Division and the State Director of the Michigan Commission for the Blind continue to be active

participants on the Statewide Transition Network Team in an effort to coordinate staff development under the agency’s Comprehensive Plan for Personnel Development (CSPD) with the personnel development under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) as provided by Section 101(a)(7)(a)(ii) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(f). This is also accomplished through a variety of cash-match agreements that provide for the sharing of personnel and services among the various educational entities and the Michigan Commission for the Blind. The Administrator of the Consumer Services Division will work closely with the transition team to develop specific procedures for improving our coordination of CSPD and IDEA requirements for personnel development. These agreements allow for maximum sharing of information related to the needs of consumers and enhance planning for the future provision of services.

ATTACHMENT 4.2: State independent commission or state rehabilitation council

The Michigan Commission for the Blind does not have a State Rehabilitation Council. The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a governor appointed Board of Commissioners.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (b): Annual Estimates of Individuals to be Served and Costs of Services.

Based on previous experience it is estimated that there will be approximately 1,750 individuals in the state who are eligible for services under this State plan for the current fiscal year

The Michigan Commission for the Blind is not under an Order of Selection.  Therefore, it is estimated that there will be 3,300 individuals who will receive services with funds provided under Part B of Title I of the Act and under Part B of Title VI of the Act.  Approximately 2,870 persons will be served under Title I, Part B and 125 persons under Part VI of the Act.

Costs of these services are estimated to be $2,350,000 specifically for case services provided under Title I and $200,000 for case services provided under Title VI, Part B.  The total cost for providing comprehensive services under these two programs is estimated to be $7,954,029 including administrative costs, but excluding the cost of operating the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center, the agency Business Enterprise Program and other agency programs and initiatives.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (c): State’s Goals and Priorities, Including Options Related to the Order of Selection, and the Goals and Plans for Distribution of Title VI, Part B Funds.

Currently, the Michigan Commission for the Blind is not operating under an Order of Selection. If circumstances change, specifically the inability to hire more staff, this option may be considered in the future.

ATTACHMENT 4.12(c)(3): for State's Goals and Plans Regarding Distribution of Funds Received Under Title VI, Part B of the Act

The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to have adequate funding to provide supported employment services to all blind individuals in the state who meet the agency criteria for being the most severely impaired. The agency will continue to work with the local Community Mental Health programs, who recently have suffered their own cuts in funding, to encourage them to identify appropriate referrals and ongoing supports for these individuals. The agency will receive approximately $195,000 to serve the most severely impaired blind individuals under the supported employment program. This funding will be distributed between the two regions and each counselor/teacher will have access to the $92,500 available in their region. It is estimated that the agency will serve 50 to 55 individuals under this program.

Attachment 4.12(d): State’s Strategies and Use of Title I Funds for Innovation and Expansion Activities

The Michigan Commission for the Blind under Indicator 1.1: Number of Individuals with Employment Outcomes, failed with (-100%).  The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to experience staff shortage resulting from the early retirement and other retirements.  In order to continue to effect the impact of the sluggish economy in Michigan, which directly affected employment outcomes, Michigan Commission for the Blind staff were encouraged to engage in a variety of employment activities to help staff to become familiar with the latest labor market trends.  Several staff participated in the Michigan Works! Employment Training programs and the new staff received training from Employment Management Professionals (EMP) regarding placement techniques and approaches.  These and other employment activities are expected to increase the employment outcomes of our consumers.

Indicator 1.2: Percentage of Individuals Receiving Services Who Had Employment Outcomes, Michigan Commission for the Blind slightly failed this standard and indicator by 0.49%.  The state experienced one of the highest unemployment rates in recent history; therefore, this impacted adversely upon employment outcomes for MCB, coupled with the limited staff as indicated previously.

Indicator 1.3: Percentage of Persons with Employment Outcomes Who Were Competitively Employed, Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 38.85%.

Indicator 1.4: Percentage of Persons with Competitive Employment Outcomes Who Had Significant Disabilities, Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 100%.

Indicator 1.5: Ratio of Average VR Hourly Wage to Average Wage, Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 0.719%.

Indicator 1.6: Difference in Percentage of Individuals Achieving Competitive Employment Who Report Own Income as Primary Source of Support at Closure and Application, Michigan Commission for the Blind slightly failed by 0.44%.  The staff has been working more vigorously with consumers assisting and obtaining higher wages in their employment outcomes resulting in an increase from 2001.

Indicator 2.1: Ratio of Minority to Non-Minority Service Rate, Michigan Commission for the Blind failed the standard and indicator by 0.056%.  Due to early retirements and reduction of staff, the outreach activities were adversely affected; therefore, the overall effect was seen in the reduction of minority participation in the rehabilitation process.  Plans are in place to increase activities in this area.

Michigan Commission for the Blind and Michigan Rehabilitation Services in the Department of Labor and Economic Growth collaborated together in conducting a Statewide Needs Assessment in July 2002.  The results indicated that the Michigan Commission for the Blind emphasized the need to continue to provide customer friendly services and effective timely services.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind has developed five design teams to focus on a variety of activities within the Commission, specifically the Service Delivery Design team is focusing on the timeliness and the effectiveness of services.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind is developing the Needs Assessment Survey in order that the 2005 survey will meet the goals and objectives as it relates to the agency’s short and long term strategic plan.

MCB continues to place high priority on outreach activities, emphasizing the need to provide timely services to special populations and minority groups with disabilities (4.12 (d) (c)).  The Cultural Diversity Committee continues to play an important role in helping to identify unserved and underserved individuals with disabilities.  One of the activities that they have employed that has been very successful in bringing the awareness of MCB services to minority groups with disabilities is through presentations made at local churches, recreational centers and community health establishments.  The committee functions with the support of two of the commission board members. The commission provides brochures in alternative formats and in alternative languages, particularly in Spanish and Arabic.

MCB is active with the Michigan Commission on Disability Concerns in providing presentations on services for individuals with disabilities statewide.  MCB also participated in disability awareness trainings for the Michigan Works! centers (workforce investment system in the state of Michigan) to help overcome access barriers.  We are also active with workforce advisory boards for Owosso, Kalamazoo, Genesee, Ann Arbor, Calhoun, St. Clair, Monroe, Western Wayne and Macomb counties as well as the City of Detroit Disability Advisory board.

MCB continues to expand the Capital Quality Initiative as part of the Planning and Quality process using Title I funds (4.12 (d) (e)).  Title I funds are also used for the Discovery Learning training, implementation and maintenance of the “Changing Lives, Changing Attitudes” video and the MI-Connection program (High School-High Tech) which was implemented in Michigan.  MCB continues to assist in the implementation of this program and its involvement in transition from school to work.

In addressing 4.12 (d) (f) (i), MCB in the application step of the rehabilitation process provides all documentation in the format of the client’s choice.  Assistive technology services and devices are available at various training facilities such as: MCB Training Center, e-blind, colleges, etc.  We also consult with employers on accommodations and identify and provide, if needed, assistive technology services and devices based on an individualized assessment of those needs.  Our list of technology consultants continues to be updated yearly and is found in our Vocational Rehabilitation manual.

MCB has a renewed effort (4.12 (d) (f) (ii)) to participate with community rehabilitation programs.  MCB doubled its participation of the Michigan Association of Rehabilitation Organizations (MARO) annual conference in June.  In addition we had many staff attend a recent MARO conference on employment skills and job development.  We continue to purchase services from Goodwill statewide, such as, computer training, assessment and vocational evaluation services, etc.  We continue to sit on the Supported Employment Community Team with Peckham Vocational Industries.  We are also involved in the Supported Employment Coalition with the City of Detroit inclusive of other partners such as, Detroit Public Schools, Services to Enhance Potential, Jewish Vocational Services, Goodwill Industries, etc.

MCB’s placement initiatives (4.12 (d) (f) (iii) were assessed and determined that assistance was needed in order to be more effective in an extremely repressed labor market.  Therefore, Employment Management Professionals were employed to provide training for new staff as well as a refresher course that will help equip staff to engage in meaningful job analysis and job development as well as the establishment of employer accounts.  These placement activities have allowed us to involve our community rehabilitation partners in the expansion of job placement activities, which ultimately opened up opportunities for persons with disabilities.  These activities are enabling this organization to meet the challenges of an ever-changing labor market.

The Planning and Quality (PAQ) team (which combines agency supervisors and managers with members of the Vision 2020 design team), continues to explore ways to continue to provide homemaker services, emphasizing the need to remove homemaker closures from the competitive outcomes.  Discussions are ongoing with other agencies that provide homemaker services and the ways in which they are providing services to this population.  MCB is fully aware of the importance of marketing and marketing strategies as it impacts upon service delivery to persons with disabilities.  It is imperative that persons with disabilities must be able to access MCB services in order to gain knowledge and to be aware of opportunities that will enable them to obtain and maintain employment and explore opportunities for upward mobility.  We are attempting to develop a tracking process for long term tracking of competitive closures.

MCB participates in statewide Michigan Works! training (4.12 (d) (f) (iv)). The staff also has provided sensitivity training to the Michigan Works! local staff in their geographic regions as it relates to blindness and visually impaired. We are co-located in the Lansing, Ypsilanti, and Clinton Township Michigan Works! offices and continue to use itinerant offices statewide.

In relation to the use of Title I funds reserved for the development and implementation of innovative approaches to expand and improve services to individuals with disabilities, the Michigan Commission for the Blind in addition to the Planning and Quality team process, continues to make progress in initiating innovative concepts and activities.  Michigan Commission for the Blind video entitled,  “Changing Lives, Changing Attitudes” has had a significant impact on the community overall. The video enables counselors and teachers to show consumers and community partners some of the services that MCB provides.

The Discovery Learning training continues to provide MCB staff with different techniques and approaches relating to orientation and mobility which provides staff with additional skills to be utilized in assisting individuals who are blind and visually impaired as well as enabling them to be sensitive to the needs of this population.

Another process resulting from the Planning and Quality team is the establishment of the case management file system.  The case management system utilizes “tabs” to identify specific categories within the case file.  The Service Delivery Focus Design team, which is a part of the PAQ team, developed a statement to be included in the Individualized Plan of Employment which encourages vocational and college students to obtain employment during their academic programs in order to enhance employment opportunities.

Michigan Commission for the Blind is also exploring a new concept, which is called “Learned Optimism and Empowerment.”  This program is designed to promote positive approaches to the rehabilitation process and employment outcomes.  MCB will be implementing pilot projects in both regions.

Finally, the establishment of the Speakers Bureau has been instrumental in furthering our outreach initiative. Staff and community partners have benefited from this initiative.  Ultimately, the activity has helped to increase MCB’s awareness throughout the state.

Regarding the methods Michigan Commission for the Blind uses to address Supported Employment Barriers to employment pursuant to section 427 of the General Education Provisions Act, MCB believes the current transition services, inclusive of the Youth Low Vision services, greatly reduce the barriers for all eligible students 14 and older, including supported employment students.  MCB’s transition services include active vocational guidance with the student and school, career exploration (both aptitude and interest testing), Youth Low Vision services for students in the K-12 school system, skills of blindness training at MCBTC or in their home community and coordination with local school supports for vocational training including job readiness skills, job shadowing, on-the-job training and employment opportunities. MCB actively funds job shadowing experiences, identifying and paying for necessary accommodations for jobs, paid and unpaid work experiences, and even permanent jobs that continue after graduation.  Funding for job coaching, and, as needed, direct job placement services, are additional services available for our supported employment students to help overcome barriers to employment.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (e) for Evaluation and Report of Progress in Achieving Identified Goals and Priorities and Use of Title I Funds for Innovation and Expansion Activities

The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a goal of rehabilitating 198 individuals who are blind or visually impaired into competitive jobs in an integrated community setting during the fiscal year beginning October 1, 2003. Our focus is to continue to assist individuals who are blind or visually impaired in obtaining and maintaining employment. The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a strong commitment to provide opportunities for persons with multiple disabilities to integrate into the employment arena through the variety of services and supports that will enable these individuals to be successfully employed.  MCB’s overall objective is to maximize individual’s goals, capacities, abilities and priorities. The commission’s focus is to provide assistance through which these individuals are able to obtain high-quality employment where wages and benefits are commensurate with wages and benefits paid to a person without a disability. The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s goal is to rehabilitate 124 homemakers during this fiscal year and plans to serve approximately 3,300 consumers overall in the Vocational Rehabilitation program.

A major concern of the Michigan Commission for the Blind is a reduction in staff due to an early retirement program and attrition within the State of Michigan. This combination has greatly impacted on the overall staff’s ability to provide rehabilitation services to our population.  The early retirement program and the normal attrition of staff reduced the staff by more than 20 individuals.  The state’s fiscal ability did not allow for one to one replacements of staff, which resulted in some reduction in services. Also, due to State of Michigan budget concerns, we have been able to hire only seven new staff to replace those staff who retired. The goal of providing quality vocational rehabilitation services remains our highest priority. Our challenge is to strategize and collaborate with our existing staff, as well as with other Community Rehabilitation Partners to continue to provide effective vocational rehabilitation services in a timely and efficient manner. The Michigan Commission for the Blind will continue to serve as many persons who are blind or visually impaired as possible, while working within the constraints of limited staff. These staff reductions have forced us to purchase services of rehabilitation counselors and rehabilitation teachers on a fee-for-service basis across the state to meet our consumer demands. In addition, we are forced to work with very limited fiscal resources so collaboration and partnering with other Community Rehabilitation Programs remains a very high priority.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to pursue additional learning opportunities for our staff in the area of job development and job placement. A priority is to provide additional training for staff with Employment Management Professionals with emphasis on phase III (the advanced) for the staff.  We will also be providing a completion of phase II for all new staff that received the initial training in spring of 2003.  The program has provided counselors and counselor/teachers with renewed confidence in the job placement arena.  Although the labor market in Michigan is repressed, staff is still utilizing their skills acquired though the EMP training to help them meet the challenges of a reduced labor market.  One of the major objectives of the program is to provide an expanded employer base, which results in greater placement activities and the establishment of employer accounts that result in meaningful employer relationships.  An additional aspect of this program is expected to produce opportunities for internships and trial work experiences. This training will be done in conjunction with the Region V, Rehabilitation Counselor Continuing Education program at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind goal is to provide thorough and comprehensive training for all new staff.  The training will focus on program policies and procedures, and practices.  It will also provide all new staff with the agency’s philosophy, goals and objectives in relation to service and delivery.  MCB is aware that such training for personnel is imperative if we wish to have staff that is equipped with skills and abilities to be able to participate in an ever-changing society.  These objectives will offer staff opportunities to demonstrate leaderful qualities that are encouraged and promoted by the agency.

The Ticket-to-Work program has been implemented by the Michigan Commission for the Blind.  In the infancy stage, the program provided another opportunity for MCB to enhance services to our consumers.  It is expected that a considerable number of the consumers will receive “tickets” which are assignable. MCB will continue to provide an array of quality vocational rehabilitation services to individuals who are blind or visually impaired to assist consumers in obtaining employment, so that these individuals will choose to assign their "ticket" to the Michigan Commission for the Blind.  MCB has been assigned 75 tickets, which is in keeping with the Ticket-to-Work legislation as it relates to expand rehabilitation opportunities.  Although prior to November 2002, those cases that had signed Individualized Plans of Employment are considered as, “pipeline cases” which should increase this number. MCB has continued to pursue the cost reimbursement payment system for those consumers that assign their ticket to MCB.  The staff continues to be informed in regards to additional activities relating to the Ticket-to-Work through our assigned ticket coordinator.  The coordinator has provided many training sessions that provided the staff with opportunities to further their knowledge in regards to the ticket legislation and payment practices.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind focused on a case management system, which provides consistency in the structure of the case files statewide.  This process yielded helpful results that promoted standardization of paper case files.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s Youth Low Vision program has continued to serve as many individuals as possible.  This goal continues to be realized because of the expanded opportunities for youths with visual impairment to receive services.  Although MCB still experiences staff reductions, through hard work and collaboration with Intermediate School Districts, the services of this program have expanded.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind Youth Low Vision program is strategically located in each geographic office throughout the state.  This practice has encouraged more collaboration and partnering with the many school districts resulting in increased number of youths who have received services.  There are approximately 1,500 youth low vision students whose visual acuity is 20/70 or greater.  Students that are 14 and older that meet MCB’s eligibility criteria for the Vocational Rehabilitation program are referred for rehabilitation services. This opportunity promotes an excellent working relationship with the school districts and increases the involvement of students in transition.  Students that do not meet MCB’s eligibility requirements are referred to the Michigan Rehabilitation Services for further services.  The decentralization of the Youth Low Vision program has enabled MCB to provide more timely services for youths and to promote more meaningful relationships to school districts, intermediate school districts and the Special Education Department. Through collaboration with the Special Education Department, MCB has been able to obtain and/or identify the number of students that are visually impaired in the state of Michigan.  This provides an opportunity for MCB to become involved in transition activities in the intermediate school districts throughout the state.  MCB’s partnering with the intermediate school districts is paying dividends to support academic programs as well as prevocational and job opportunities for the participants.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s goal related to strategic planning that the Planning and Quality team initiated by the Vision 2020 process, produced five design teams to evaluate and recommend goals and objectives for the agency for one-year and five-year time periods. The five focus design teams are Service Delivery, Image and Identity, Technology, Resource and Structure, and Partnership and Collaboration. One of the major goals of the agency was achieved when the agency was moved from the Family Independence Agency to the Department of Labor and Economic Growth.  Many other goals have been met that were recommended by the design teams.  Diversity training for all staff was successfully provided.  Technology training was made available for staff and a variety of vendors participated in the training program.  As mentioned in 4.12 (d) the Individualized Plan of Employment was implemented regarding employment.  Many of the goals that were outlined by the design teams have been accomplished.  The Planning and Quality team and the design teams continue to meet with the objectives of continuing to shape the agency to meet ever-changing demands placed on the agency.  Our motto “Changing Lives, Changing Attitudes” is the platform that our five design teams are based on.

Another focus of the Michigan Commission for the Blind is to promote the usage of technology in the rehabilitation process.  The Technology design team, a part of the Planning and Quality initiative, has undertaken this objective.  The objective is to enhance the use of technology for staff and consumers.  This group continues to work toward the development of a Technology center where staff and consumers will have an opportunity to become aware of the latest technology in the labor market.  Training will also be available to individuals who wish to avail themselves.  A Technology forum was presented in the fall of 2003, where staff was exposed to a variety of the latest devices and/or adaptive equipment that is being utilized in a variety of occupation and academic settings.  Another objective of this team is the establishment of a Braille center where Braille production will be provided.  The emphasis will be on Braille literacy and the exposure to Braille devices.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind has developed and continues to establish working relationships with the Michigan Works! offices in a number of areas.  Our Memorandums of Understanding with the Michigan Works! offices have provided the basis for working relationships.  These agreements also outlines accessibility and necessary adaptive equipment that will encourage consumers to utilize these service centers for employment assistance.  A number of the Michigan Works! offices are equipped with adaptive equipment that allows blind and visually impaired individuals to access their services as their peers access job search services.  In some areas, the Michigan Works! offices are still in need of providing adaptive equipment to promote independence in job search by persons that are blind and visually impaired.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind in collaborating with the Michigan Works! offices have established goals to make these offices accessible to the consumers we serve.  Through this collaboration, we are co-located at three locations.  We continue to develop itinerant staff in several other Michigan Works! offices.  These activities will help to ensure utilization of the Michigan Works! services by the consumers of the Michigan Commission for the Blind.  As MCB continues to co-locate with the Michigan Works! offices it will be necessary to develop memorandums that will continue to outline specific cost sharing for the locations as well as pamphlets, brochures, etc.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind staff participates on Michigan Works! advisory boards to provide valuable input regarding persons who are blind and visually impaired.

Another goal is to continue to provide staff with professional development opportunities and the familiarization of new and innovative technologies that expand opportunities for consumers who are blind.  The Discovery Learning training will provide additional skills and techniques for some 14 staff to acquire innovative concepts in orientation and mobility and other alternative methods related to independent living skills. This four day training has been beneficial to staff who have previously participated in this training, in terms of considering a different type of viewpoint of teaching skills to persons who are blind or visually impaired.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind policy manual has been presented and was approved by the Board of the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

[...]

Another continuing process at the Michigan Commission for the Blind is the Discovery Learning training. The Discovery Learning training continues to provide MCB staff with different techniques and approaches relating to orientation and mobility which provides staff with additional skills to be utilized in assisting individuals who are blind and visually impaired as well as enabling them to be sensitive to the needs of this population.

Another process resulting from the Planning and Quality team is the establishment of the case management file system.  The case management system utilizes “tabs” to identify specific categories within the case file.  The Service Delivery Focus Design team, which is a part of the PAQ team, developed a statement to be included in the Individualized Plan of Employment which encourages vocational and college students to obtain employment during their academic programs in order to enhance employment opportunities.

Michigan Commission for the Blind is also exploring a new concept, which is called “Learned Optimism and Empowerment.”  This program is designed to promote positive approaches to the rehabilitation process and employment outcomes.  MCB will be implementing pilot projects in both regions.

Finally, the Michigan Commission for the Blind has created a Speakers Bureau designed to train interested staff in public speaking skills. The idea is that public awareness will increase as staff begins to do more presentations in local communities throughout the state.

Michigan Commission for the Blind does support the Statewide Independent Living Council from Title VII Part b funds, i.e. no Title I funds are used for this purpose.

CERTIFICATIONS REGARDING LOBBYING, DEBARMENT, SUSPENSIONS AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITY MATTERS: DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE REQUIREMENTS

Applicants should refer to the regulations cited below to determine the certification to which they are required to attest.  Applicants should also review the instruction for certification included in the regulations before completing this form.  Signature of this form provides for compliance with certification requirements under 34 CFR Part 82, “New Restriction on Lobbying” and 34 CFR Part 85,  “Government-wide Debarment and Suspension (non-procurement) and Government-wide requirements for Drug-Free Workplace (Grants).”  The certifications shall be treated as a material representation of fact upon which reliance will be placed when the Department of Education determines to award the covered transaction, grant or cooperative agreement.

1.    LOBBYING

As required by Section 1352, Title 31 of the U.S. Code, and implemented at 34 CFR Part 82, for persons entering into a grant or cooperative agreement over $100,000, as defined at 34 CFR Part 82, Sections 82.105 and 82.110, the applicant certifies that:

(a) No Federal appropriated funds have been paid or will be paid by or on behalf of the undersigned, to any person for influencing or attempting to influence an officer or employee of any agency, a Member of Congress, an officer or employee of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress or in connection with the making of any Federal grant, the entering into of any cooperative agreement, and the extension, continuation, renewal, amendment, or modification of any Federal grant or cooperative agreement.

(b) If any funds other than the Federal appropriated funds have been paid or will be paid to any person for influencing or attempting to influence an officer or employee of any agency, a Member of Congress, an officer or employee of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress in connection with the Federal grant or cooperative agreement, the undersigned shall complete and submit Standard Form – LLL. “Disclosure Form to Report Lobbying,” in accordance with its instructions.

(c) The undersigned shall require that the language of this certification be included in the award documents for all subawards at all tiers (including subgrants, contract(s)) and that all subrecipients shall certify and disclose accordingly.

As the duly authorized representative of the applicant, I certify that the applicant will comply with the above certifications.

NAME OF APPLICANT:

Michigan Commission for the Blind

PR/AWARD NO. AND/OR PROJECT NAME:

                   Title I

PRINTED NAME OF AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE:

                   Patrick D. Cannon, State Director

SIGNATURE:                                                                 DATE:

ED 80-0013