[nfbmi-talk] Questions About MCB Board Correspondence

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 15:15:01 UTC 2010

Actually this issue was discussed at the Open Meeting Act and Freedom of
Information Act staff and commission training on the issue conducted by
Daphne Johnson and Tom Quasarano. Larry and I attended that meeting and I
have a large part on tape. Regardless, any correspondence to any
commissioner or staff is indeed a public record under the FOIA. Ms. Taekens
was concerned about that but that is the law. In fact any e-mail or letter
sent to a public official is not sheilded by confidentiality and again is
public. It does not have to be rubber stamped as "official board
correspondence" either which they still don't get.

I'll look up and post again later just what is a public document.

By the way that meeting was taped and that is a public document under the
FOIA as it was taped for a public official, namely one of the commissioners.

The FOIA is clear and unambiguous on these items. In fact each and every
e-mail I send to the Commission is a public document including all of my
e-mails related to the FOIA itself.

One reason I use the MCB 2020 list and this one of course is to archive the
issues and documents and so on and so forth.

The blatent violations of the FOIA by MCB are even worse than the OMA
violations, and indeed the OMA and FOIA are joined at the hip so to speak.

Both require sunshine on the activities of our government.

Finally, there are ccduel obligations under the ADA and 504 to make such
information accessable and with no surcharge to a blind person. And as Tom
Quasarano pointed out to Cannon, "Federal law trumps state law." And the
ADA, 504 are federal civil rights laws. And the Rehab Act is a federal law
as well.

Anyway I hope I answerred your question and I will again put a link or post
the entire FOIA which is very clear.

Peace with Justice,

Joe