[nfbmi-talk] interesting slant new york times

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 13:34:11 UTC 2010

David Paterson Isn't Looking Forward to Life on the Outside

Photo: Photo: Roger Kisby/Getty Images

Like many politicians seeing out the end of their time in office, David Patterson is a little worried about how things will turn out. He doesn't know what

he'll do yet or how people will see him. But unlike a lot of other politicians, the soon-to-be-former-governor has another thing on his mind, how his lack

of sight will affect his life in New York City. He's just starting to get used to the realization that he'll no longer have a state full of government

employees to help him out.

Block quote start

"If I go into a grocery store, the state police come in with me," he said. "It's kind of like, hey, Governor, just tell us what you need and we'll get it

for you. And, I know I have to adjust."

Block quote end

Although he'd had nearly a half century of finding ways around his blindness before becoming lieutenant governor in 2007, Paterson claims the position hampered

his independence. "I haven’t been on the subway," he said. "I haven’t crossed a street by myself. Haven’t gone into a restaurant by myself.”

In an attempt to make the transition easier Paterson says he'll start taking classes at the Helen Keller Services for the Blind and might consider hiring

a full-time aide. Then he'll start worrying about dealing with he loss of his title and stature and the other inconveniences of being a regular citizen.

One thing he is looking forward to though, earning more than a paltry $179,000 a year.

Paterson's Exit Presents Worry With Each Step

[NYT]

David Paterson Isn't Looking Forward to Life on the Outside -- Daily Intel

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/12/david_paterson_isnt_looking_fo.html