[nfbmi-talk] sounds very familiar

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 19:49:14 UTC 2010

Vigil held for Michigan School for the Deaf

matt franklin

FLINT (WJRT) -- (12/21/10) -- Members of the deaf community say they feel they are shut out on plans to renovate the Michigan School for the Deaf campus

in Flint and are calling for the governor to hold off on signing the bill until she hears from them first.

Students, staff and supporters of those from MSD held a quiet candlelight vigil Tuesday night to send that message to Lansing.

The state legislature recently approved a bill that allows a Genesee county developer to buy the school. Lurvey White Ventures will buy the property for

more than $1 million.

Those with close ties to the school said they are worried about its future.

"I'm the third generation. I hope I can have my children come here as well," said MSD sophomore Jessica Kales.

Plans include major renovations to the campus and leasing the buildings to Powers Catholic High School and MSD.

Marty Miracle of the MSD Association said throughout the negotiations, no one has gotten input from those directly affected by the potential changes.

"We're afraid in the long run, the developer could sell the land and Michigan school for the deaf could disappear," Miracle said.

According to a version of the bill from November, the lease is for a 20-year term with one 10-year renewal option.

The state could then purchase it after seven years.

While they are not opposed to change, those from MSD want to make sure it's in the best interest of anyone who uses the school.

"We're a family. There's no other word that could say it better, but we're a family," Kales said.

ABC12 was told that the bill is on the governor's desk waiting to be signed.

Vigil held for Michigan School for the Deaf

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Get LATEST ADOBE® FLASH® PLAYER

Tags:

education funding,

flint,

schools,

scheduling and planning,

local,

matt franklin

List of 10 items

• Comment Now

• Email

• Print

• Report a typo

• #Local

• share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fabclocal.go

• home?status=Currently reading http%3A%2F%2Fabclocal.go

• submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabclocal.go

• post?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabclocal.go

• ShareThis via email, AIM, social bookmarking and networking sites, etc.

list end

bio/wjrt_bio_mattfranklin_35x44

Matt Franklin

More: