[nfbmi-talk] January 7, 2010 Board Meeting Minutes

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Fri Jan 15 13:40:30 CST 2010


It's really nice to see these in a timely manner.
Good job.

J.J. Meddaugh - ATGuys.com
A premier Licensed Code Factory and KNFB Reader distributor
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "trising" <trising at sbcglobal.net>
To: "NFB of Michigan List" <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:06 PM
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] January 7, 2010 Board Meeting Minutes


> Board Meeting
>
> January 7, 2010 Board Meeting Minutes Call to order at 8-30 p.m. by 
> President Larry Posont.  There was a quorum
>
> Motion--Marcus Simmons moved Dave Robinson seconded secretary's report as 
> sent to Nfbmi list.
>
> Motion--Treasurer's report Peter Zaremba. Bills from last year were paid. 
> About $2400 in treasury. Funds received from Drier foundation. Funds 
> received from state for Newsline. Discussion--Collecting remaining Braille 
> coin money and selling unsold coins. Discussion--Meeting January 23 
> possibly at state Library for vendors, seniors and students. Meeting 
> titled Michigan Issues and Answers The only cost will be around 400 for 
> lunch. Morning, 9-12, focuses on federation advocacy. After lunch, break 
> off into the separate vendor, senior and student groups. Looking for us to 
> help with vendors crisis. Discussion--College Policy. All day meeting on 
> January 29 to solve college policy for students. NFB of Michigan supports 
> creating a new policy since the current one does not meet with our 
> criteria.
>
> Discussion Washington Seminar 7 people attending, including two for the 
> first time. All attending will split the cost for rooms on January 31/. 
> Melinda Latham obtained $5000 from the Trust Fund of the Michigan School 
> for the Blind to take 6 kids and 2 chaperones to Washington Seminar. 
> Anyone attending Washington Seminar should be ready to give a report to 
> their chapter.
>
> Discussion The NFB state Board Meeting--Will be held on February 20, 2010 
> in the Lake Superior room at 10 a.m. in the state Library building. Andrea 
> Nelson will provide several choices for lunch. $5 per person will be 
> charged and the affiliate will pay the extra. Water, coffee and other 
> basics will be provided. Larry Posont had a discussion with the chair of 
> the Commission for the Blind Bep Jo Ann Pilarski. We will help when we see 
> advocacy for blind people in our state.
>
> Discussion--public comments in Commission Meetings. We should have 4 
> opportunities for public comment. One each at the beginning of the morning 
> and afternoon for comments about agenda items only and One each at the end 
> of morning and afternoon meetings for general comments. Jo Ann Pilarski is 
> in favor of three opportunities for public comments.
>
> Discussion--Merging agencies. Documentation is on website about merging 
> agencies. A joint letter written and signed by NFB and ACB in 2003 states 
> that we are not in favor of merging blindness agencies. The current ACB 
> president agrees with this letter but is going to check with his board. 
> The governor has no intention of merging agencies.
>
> Discussion--State Convention three possible hotels Kalamazoo costs $99 per 
> room per night.  Dearborn costs $85 per room per night. We are leaning 
> toward Dearborn, as we think rates can be negotiate down. Plus there are 
> choices of restaurants in the parking lot of the hotel. Pontiac was 
> mentioned but the rates are high and the food was bad. A senior seminar is 
> planned for Friday of convention week end. This could potentially generate 
> 100 more convention attendees.
>
> Discussion--Legislative Breakfast scheduled for March 4, 2010. This will 
> be located in the north Corridor Rotunda of the House from 8 a.m. to 1 
> p.m. 10 to 11 is available for us to have speakers.   Food will be 
> provided by blind vendor in Capitol Building. Dave Robinson will give 
> Peter Zaremba estimated amount of cost. The two or three issues to be 
> presented to our legislators are still being formulated.
>
> Committee report-The fund raising committee is planning to meet with the 
> coffee sellers.
>
> Website Committee--documents went up on website about agency merger. 
> Resolutions are also up on the website. Work on rebuilding board 
> information on website.
>
> More information about the Lansing Chapter Theater Project will be 
> forthcoming in future board meetings.
>
> Marcus Simmons has a rough draft of a media release about blindness issues 
> which will be worked on with Larry Posont and presented at a future board 
> meeting. All Michigan Federationists are encouraged to help develop a 
> media contact list.
>
> Membership Committee Wilcoxes are eager to start the Ann Arbor chapter.
>
> next board meeting January 21 at 8-30.
>
> Adjourn at 9-44.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> nfbmi-talk mailing list
> nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfbmi-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for 
> nfbmi-talk:
> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbmi-talk_nfbnet.org/jj%40bestmidi.com
> 





More information about the nfbmi-talk mailing list