[nfbmi-talk] Fundraising Plans and Student Scholarships

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 22:19:16 UTC 2010

Hello List,

Does anyone know if the student division is going to be doing any kind of fundraising at national convention this year? I keep hearing that the student division wants to bring back our scholarship program, but I never seem to hear any specifics about actually trying to put it in place. Is there enough money in the current treasury to provide a scholarship this year? Are there any plans for being able to provide scholarships in the future instead of it being just a one-time thing?

Additionally, I know that the national office provides the opportunity for each state affiliate to apply for a special Imagination Fund grant. In the past few years, it seems as though our affiliate has done a lot to help support the funds of the youth outreach program and the parents division. I think both of these programs are great, but I am wondering if our state affiliate might be willing to help out the student division this time around by applying for an Imagination Fund grant to help fund the scholarship program.

I meant to bring this up at the last board meeting, but it slipped my mind as I was more focused on the college policy issue. I would be more than willing to write the grant application, but I would think something like this would need to be approved by the board. When I look at our affiliate, I see dedicated long time members who are doing there best to reach out to inspire and mentor young children, but for me at least, there seems to be a bit of a gap between these two generations. I think our youth outreach program is great, but my fear is that without the strong presence of young adults in our affiliate that some day there will not be much left to pass on to the younger generations.

Respectfully,
Elizabeth