[nfbmi-talk] Blind Training Center has new director

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 23:00:14 UTC 2010

Blind Training Center has new director

Published: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 8:00 AM     Updated: Friday, June 11, 2010, 6:59 PM

 Rosemary Parker | Kalamazoo Gazette

KALAMAZOO - Larry Posont, the president of the National Federation for the Blind of Michigan, isn't happy that a sighted woman with
no specialized training in rehabilitation relating to blindness has been hired to fill the $96,000-a-year job as director of the
Blind Training Center in Kalamazoo.

But Sherri Heibeck's 24 years of work with the Michigan Commission for the Blind won her the unanimous approval of the four-member
interview panel that considered  208 applicants seeking the position, a state spokesman said.

Heibeck will assume her new responsibilities on Monday, said Mario Morrow, senior policy executive of the Michigan Department of
Energy, Labor and Economic Growth.

She fills a vacancy created by the controversial dismissal in February of Christine Boone, who authorized a marksmanship class at
the school, which provides life-skills training to blind adults. Boone is blind.

"I know (Heibeck) personally, and as a person she is great," Posont said. "But she has degree in accounting and technology, and no
experience in blind rehab. I think it's a slap at the blind. It appears you replace your qualified blind people (with less qualified
sighted people)," Posont said.

 "I think Boone's dismissal was corruption, period."

Morrow said Heibeck has a bachelor's degree  in management and organizational development from Spring Arbor University and a master's
degree in computer information systems from Grand Valley State University.

She has worked in budget, purchasing, audits, federal reporting and information technology.

"Sherri (Heibeck) has worked with the commission for 24 years in various capacities, serving as our administrative services manager
for the past six years, " Morrow said.

"She has also been a member of MCB's executive management team since 2004 and has been a leader in our Vision 2020 Initiative for
the past 10 years."

As for Boone, Morrow said, "At this time I can only state that the status of her appeal is that it is proceeding through the
 system."

Boone's dismissal and other actions by Patrick D. Cannon, director of the Michigan Commission for the Blind, is the topic of a
two-part series, "Something Amiss in Michigan," in the Braille Monitor, the newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind.

Contact Rosemary Parker at rparker at kalamazoogazette.com or 269-388-2734.