[nfbmi-talk] Minutes, June 10, 2010.

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 14 02:58:57 UTC 2010

Minutes, June 10, 2010.

Call to Order Larry Posont, Dave Robinson, Terri Wilcox, Peter Zaremba, Marcus Simmons, Michael Powell, John Scott and Matt
McCubbin.
Quorum yes
Introduction of participating members.
Secretary's Report. Terri Wilcox. Dave Robinson moves that the minutes be accepted and Mike Powell seconds the motion.
Treasurer's Report. Peter Zaremba. There is $1800 in the treasury. Expenses for the board meeting on May 22 are $300. These have not
been paid yet. Dave Robinson motioned and Marcus Simmons seconded the motion to approve the treasurer's Report.
Update on Freedom of Information Request state and Federal. A Freedom of Information Request came in via computer, but it was blank
from the Federal. Nothing significant has happened on the state level concerning Freedom of Information Requests.
Discussion.--Positions we gave the Commission Board during the March 19 meeting. The agency is trying to react to our positions. The
staff meeting next week includes consumer groups but we have not been invited. Our positions were not put in the Commission minutes
in full.
Discussion of the May 3 Special Commission Board Meeting. There was no precise motion to close the meeting. May 3 minutes need to be
corrected. Joe Harcz will send Larry the transcripts of the May 3 meeting. Joe Harcz states that it is only legal to vote during the
open part of a meeting. During the closed meeting, things were discussed which were not on the agenda.
Discussion of the lawyer/retainer. The check is here for the lawyer. He has agreed to take our case. The Attorney General is having
an in-service training on the Open Meetings Act. Larry wants an email about whether the meeting on the 17th is an open meeting.
Discussion of the June 18 Commission Board Meeting. There are only two public comment opportunities. There is no official policy
among the Commissioners about how to handle public comment. There are just staff reports and no substance to the agenda. There are
important Bep issues being discussed. John Scott received Bep transcripts. Transcripts are important to find out the real truth.
Blind vendors should get a chance to advocate for themselves. The agency should not be allowed to speak without the vendor being
allowed to speak as well. Our position needs to be stated clearly about fairness of treatment for blind vendors. Everything goes
through the state Supreme Court and we need to know why all our cases go through one judge. Commission board members need a summary
of the facts without reading the whole transcript. We need people to attend the Commission Board meeting and the college policy
meeting on June 18 and 21 respectively. The
Agenda, director's report, and activity list are online.
Discussion.--Future protest plans.
Discussion.--New ad hoc committee for BEP operators with Consumer organization input. They will meet on the 23rd and we will have
significant input.
Update on College policy. Elizabeth Mohnke, Fred Wurtzel. The college policy meeting on June 21 will be a free flowing meeting with
plenty of discussion. The policy will then go to a writing committee. Peter Zaremba is interested in seeing the current college
policy. Elizabeth Mohnke hoped for more surveys from college students to give a larger sample.
State caucus at National Convention? July 2 is not available. Larry Posont asked for the third for the caucus. Matt McCubbin
suggests getting the convention preregistration list.
New Business:
MCBTC Director and moves within the Commission of staff for temporary replacements. Sherry Heibeck is directing the center.
Constance Zanger is moving to Acting Administrative Services Director. James Hull will be the Director of the Business Enterprise
Program. We may have a favorable story out of Kalamazoo.
Newsline Funding.
Discussion.--Larry's letter to Pat Cannon and ensuing discussion on the list serve.
Discussion.--Technology Sizzler, June 23. Georgia Kitchen will represent Newsline but we need people to help. John Scott will talk
to Leonard Gross about helping. The address for the Sizzler is Wayne County Community College, the Northwest Campus 8200 West Outer
Drive Detroit MI 48219.
Update on the solicitation license. It will be done by June 30.
Volunteers needed to work the Michigan table in the exhibit hall at National Convention. Dave Robinson. Dave needs more people but
some are signing up.
August Board Meeting, Doubletree Hotel August 28. There will be a picnic at Larry's with steak and baked potato and corn on the cob
for $10.
We will be at the Braille-a-thon with Newsline, possibly selling ice cream and taking orders for free white canes on June 22.
The Monitor article about Michigan appeared in June. Marcus Simmons cautions about the term air rifle, since some people will
perceive that term as a term for a weapon.
Are chapters donating to the four funds at National Convention? Lansing is challenging other chapters. Dave is asking for details
about coffee.
Adjourn at 10-16.
Email Address:

president.nfb.mi at gmail.com

Thank you for being a part of the NFB of Michigan. Together, we are changing what it means to be blind in Michigan.