[nfbmi-talk] betcha this wasn't brought up at staff meeting

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 15:46:47 UTC 2010

Ah yes but this comprehensive reveiw must be a part of the state plan under
the rehab act and I guess folks forgot about that and the fact that we're
supposed to inform the public about this, let alone the commission in detail
and that there are supposed to be open and public hearings on this state
plan.

Guess what ... We've never done that in Michigan since I've been back here
in 2001!

These are aalso supposed to be reported to RSA as part of its annual reveiws
and on site monitoring too.

Also note the requirement for affirmative action in hiring of qualified
blind folks right in here.

And requirments for qualifications.

Kind of goes to the minimal requirements for running the Training Center
being only a high school diploma and two years of law enforcement or
equivelent experience.

Oh, my did Cannon fire two blind folks in the past year and replace them
with lesser qualified people including a lesser qualified sighted person by
the name of Cheryl Hibeck?

Oh, my looks like a substantive violation of Section 503 and 504 for that
matter going on here in Michigan.

Man, I loved his rope a dope on that issue during the last meeting.

And RSA just is loving his public comments blaming the RSA monitors for his
groos derelictions of known duties, multiple violations of multiple laws,
and so on and so forth.

Folks here's the ultimate issue, just like in Watergate we must "follow the
money".

That's what this all is about ultimately. Money and personal power.

I keep waiting for Cannon to deliver a press conference to say, "I am not a
crook."

Say, here's a thought maybe the state trooper they requisitioned to try to
intimidate me from telling the truth at a public meeting could be used
instead to haul his butt off to the hoosegow.

Oh it makes me sick to my stomache whenever I hear from these jokers and
bigots and buffoons and scofflaws things like, "We're more inclusive than
the minimum and mhave more consumer input than other states."

Compared to what?

One example is Maine just had public hearings widely notified in all sorts
of media, by telephone, radio, web site, and so on and so forth on its VR
State Plan.

Oh, yes we've got some updates on that due July 1, 2010. Betcha until I sent
out the release to our commissioners they didn't even know that eh?

This is the sickest institution of its type I've ever seen and I thought the
blended agency in New Hampshire was bad. This one doesn't even go through
the basics and again the minimum of public input and public information.
There is no sunshine in this state and on this agency or its sister agency
MRS for example.

Hasn't it dawned on everyone that Michigan stands alone in the fact that it
is the only state whose monitoring is incomplete among 18 agencies
monitorred in FY 2009?

Elizabeth is corret in that Minnesota is finalized. So are states like
California, Texas, Kentucky, IIowa, Arizzona and even the Marinas Islands
and Guam!! Beleive me all states had issues. Some were big time. But
Michigan stands alone in not having its monitoring report finalized because
they found big time violations and now the powers that be here are trying to
sweep this all under the rug.

Beleive me folks the hammer will fall and sadly, it will be those of us who
are blind and other folks with other disabilities who will ultimately
suffer.

These scofflaws in MCB and MRS are simply protecting some jobs and pensions
for the time when the bovine scatology hits the fan with a new
administrationnext year.

Again for fiscal year 2011 MRS will come up ten million dollars short and
will go to an order of selection. That is already a part of the public
record.

We haven't even heard any financial details of what will happen to MCB.

And God help us all if RSA decides to pull what I call the "nuclear option"
on MCB and/or MRS and that is to withold all federal funding for
non-compliance.

This can happen and might just happen too.

And if that happens we're not going to have any transitional services, basic
rehab services (like the training center), employment placement/training
including college, etc., etc., etc.

Until we develop other agencies that will comply with the letter and spirit
of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended.

And in states like California and Arizona major cut backs on services have
lalready taken place as the state foregoes some elements of RSA funding for
lack of state match. By the way that is exactly why MRS will be out ten
million next year. It was already announced that they can't abuse the cash
match agreements they were using and they can't get two million from our
bancrupt state for the federal share of eight million. So voila they get
their budget cut by ten million out of a total of 80 million.

We can all do the math. That's a substantial bite and they/nor MCB will have
American Recovery Act monies to play with in the next fiscal year.

Meanwhile Cannon and the jokers at DELEG think that consumer advocates on
limited budgets can pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to search and
deliver public information under the FOIA that should as Larry said at the
last meeting be posted on the MCB web site to begin with!

It is no wonder that taxpayers have a jaundiced eye towards state employees.
Not that they are all bad, but these types give all public employees a black
eye.

Sigh...

Joe