[nfbmi-talk] regarding bigger issues surrounding college policy

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 16:47:53 UTC 2010

Hi Lydia,

All the points are well expressed and must by law be generated in the IPE
... That is exactly where supposed exceptions are made. In addition in the
development of the Memos of Understanding the college is obligated to afford
individualized academic adjustments that are individualized under the Rehab
Act, Section 504. This can and does include extending timelines and other
modifications in the students  request for these accommodations. This does,
as you suggest become very relevent in that a policy from MCB that collides
with these obligations on behalf of the college is in violation of 504.

In other words all references in any college policy should as most suggest
be in accordance withthe existing obligations of the IPE and in conformance
with federal civil rights laws including 504 and the ADA.

This is especially significant when you go to those with multiple
disabilities.

And this does go (ADA and 504 compliance) to all the activities and
practices of MCB over all. It is directly responsable for making all its
programs accessable; and all its activities. Moreover, it cannot by law
discriminate though it apparently does so over and over again with impunity
(re: the marksmanship course, etc.).

Anyway hope this helps and I'll send out the references to academic
adjustments in the 504 regulations later as well as those specifically
applicable to VR entities including MCB.

By the way I think one of the worst culprits on the general issue in
application is Beth White who was promoted to Central Region supervisor.

She's got some pretty strange ideas in practice and I've experienced her
violations up close and personal.

Joe