[nfbmi-talk] regarding bigger issues surrounding college policy

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 27 04:39:24 UTC 2010

Lydia,

Thank you for your kind words. While I do not know much about autism, I agree whole-heartedly with what you said about providing individualized services to individuals. In fact, I do not agree that the training center program should be the only way to measure a student’s ability to take part in college courses. While I understand the need for the student assessments, I do not believe they should be the sole factor in determining whether or not a student possesses the ability to succeed in college. Sometimes the best way for someone to learn something is to learn through their mistakes, but it seems as though this process has been taken out of our education system.

In addition, I believe mandating that all students must receive this assessment at the training center is in violation of the student’s right to make an informed choice as set forth in the federal Rehabilitation Act as amended. If the agency denies this right to a student when they choose another entity to provide the assessment service based on their individual needs, then I would believe they would not only be failing to provide individualized services, but would be violating the student’s right to informed choice as well.

I also do not see why a student would have to demonstrate their ability to successfully participate in college courses if they have already demonstrated this ability by attending college on their own without the support of the Michigan Commission for the Blind. There seems to be a trend right now where many college students, especially at the community college level, where older students are going back to school as a way to polish up their resumes while collecting unemployment. If an older student came to the Michigan Commission for the Blind, and they have been a student in the past, or have even successfully managed a household, then I do not believe they should have to go through the scrutiny of attending the assessment program at the training center. I think real world experience should qualify as an assessment tool.

I believe the Michigan Commission for the Blind should realize that not every student is the same. As a result, I believe that a good college policy should allow for exceptions without even calling them exceptions. Everything should be based on the client counselor relationship. There appears to be nothing in the Michigan Rehabilitation Services college policy about appealing to the services administrator for every little exception to their policy, so why exactly should it be included as part of the college policy for the Michigan Commission for the Blind?

So anyways, I guess these are just more thoughts to add to the whole college policy debate.

Elizabeth