[nfbmi-talk] No Diplomas for Special Ed Students in Michigan

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 17:56:18 UTC 2010

You can bet this will affect blind kids.  Many blind students are
misclassified with other disabilities to get out of providing blindness
skills.  This seems unconstitutional, a violation of ADA and IDEA.  I could
be wrong.

In Michigan, no more diplomas for students in special education
March 2nd, 2010
>From the Muskegon [MI] Chronicle
A change in state law is forcing Michigan school districts to halt their
practice
of awarding diplomas to students with developmental and intellectual
disabilities.
A handful of districts statewide, including Muskegon and Muskegon Heights,
had been
awarding diplomas to students who had completed an "adaptive curriculum" in
the special
education program. Those students will now receive a "certificate of
completion."
"It's telling school boards they can't do what they've been doing," said
Linda Riepma,
executive director of secondary education for Muskegon Public Schools.
Some educators have raised concerns about the new state requirements,
calling them
too rigid and overly focused on academics. Detractors fear the new standards
may
drive up dropout rates among students who know they can't make the grade.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 at 10:53 am	and is filed
under
graduation
,
special education