[nfbmi-talk] Board Meeting Minutes for May 6 2010

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sat May 15 01:40:47 UTC 2010

Board Meeting Minutes for  May 6 2010, 8-30 P.M.

Call to Order Larry Posont, Michael Powell, Terri Wilcox, Marcus Simmons,
Matt McCubbin, John Scott, and Dave Robinson.

Quorum yes

Introduction of participating members.

Secretary's Report. Terri Wilcox. Dave Robinson motions and Michael Powell
seconds the motion, and the minutes are approved.

Treasurer's Report. Peter Zaremba. We have $2000. The money from our Parent's
group has been reallocated to us and put in a Cd.

Appointment to the Commission Board. Congratulations John Scott! John asks
for prayer.

Correspondence to Governor, Attorney General, state senator and Civil
Service

Commission. We intend to follow up with these governmental agencies via
email.

Update on Letter to Jo Ann Pilarski. She is listening but may not always
agree.

Update on Freedom of Information Request issue including the Freedom of
Information

Request concerning the Federal Audit/Monitoring of the Commission.
Preliminary

Monitoring report from September of 2009. Our FOIA requests have been
denied. The denial letter states that RSA is unable to share information
until the audit is final. We received some information about the security
guards and bullet proof skirting.

Discussion.--Positions we submitted to the Commission Board during the March
19 meeting. Our information was not included in full in the March 19
tentative minutes. Our Business Enterprise information was included, but
they did not include our retirement information.

Discussion.--Future protest plans. We need to start our pickets and
protests. We will picket once a week. Nice weather will help.

Meeting of blind vendors from last week's workshop update. New task force
from

Vendors. This includes vendors, agency, consumer groups and Commission Board

Members. The response and communication in the hospitality suite was very
positive. Discussion between the Eoc and the merchants division was long and
positive. There was more of a positive attitude toward the Federation. We
are working on getting vendors on the up and running list serve which will
unite blind vendors. The work of the Federation will make the difference to
empower the vendors. The agency should not be involved in the elections at
the workshop. Carrie Bradley asked Dave Robinson about temporary operator's
policies.

Next Statewide Quarterly board meeting. May 22, 2010 11 A.M. to 5 P.M. The

Kalamazoo Public Library is located at 315 South Rose Street. Lunch is
$5.00. Please get agenda items to Larry 1 week before the meeting.

Discussion.--Dinner is proposed after the board meeting.

Update on College policy. Elizabeth Mohnke, Fred Wurtzel. Elizabeth is
putting together a survey for college students to collect data to give to
the Commission Board. A student might have to take out a loan for college
when they should be receiving their tuition through the Commission for the
Blind.  Elizabeth is interested in working with other people to draft our
Nfb college policy.

National Convention Transportation? Discussion ensued about where to get on
the train. We can give cash or money order at the board meeting. This will
be the absolute last date to take money for the excellent train deal.

Volunteers in Independence Market at National Convention are still needed.

The state caucus at National Convention will happen at 9 P.M. on July 2.

New Business:

Update on the closed meeting of the Michigan Commission for the Blind on May
3. The Commission Board was told by the attorney general that they can make
policy. This was an illegal meeting, since the board wished to discuss their
roles. Peter Zaremba questions whether we hit them with pressure when they
are heading in a positive direction.

Ramifications of a closed meeting, plus results of the meeting when it was
opened. Fred

Wurtzel, Joe Sontag, Terry Eagle, and Mark Eagle were the only ones who
went.

The things we have been saying about the Commission are starting to be
proven right.

Doug Boone heard from his gun shop with 14 pages of signatures of petitions
to get Christine Boone back. We want to circulate a petition to other gun
clubs and shooting ranges. Peter Zaremba suggested we circulate petitions
online.

Discussion from State President, Larry Posont to Dr. Maurer. Further actions
may be taken.

Vendor Fair volunteers are needed. Vendor Fair is May 12, 10 A.M. to 4 P.M.
at the

Morris Lawrence Building on the Washtenaw Community College Campus.

We are working on the Complaint on the signage of the Victor Building.

We need to work on our solicitation license.

The August board meeting will be at the Doubletree Hotel. Larry suggests a
picnic at his house afterward.

Next board meeting is May 27 after the state quarterly board meeting.

Adjourn at 9-57.

Email address:

president.nfb.mi at gmail.com

Thank you for being a part of the NFB of Michigan. Together, we are changing
what it

means to be blind in Michigan.