[nfbmi-talk] newsline ...

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 02:34:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

Well, I disagree that Newsline is recreational.

No one that is sighted is deprived of going to the public library and reading various local and national newspapers. That costs tax dollars also and much more than Newsline.

I  usually vote for all the proposals on our  ballot but a while back I did not vote for the millage for the Flint public library. I feel they are already well compensated and despite getting federal money they do not have anything that I can see as accessible.
Our talking books here come from the Genesee District Library--a different place.

A volunteer sends me audio books and he brailles the holder for the books and each tape but the public  library can't even do that.

Anyway regarding Newsline, even though there are only 5 publications, please give these a try. You are bound to find something that is useful.
I have been reading the fact section of the New Yorker, The diabetes Self Management, and so forth.

In the past, I bought a lawn mower from the Flint Journal want ads, looked at various other things that I probably should have bought. I learn about the latest research in Health, science and diabetes--things that will help me be better informed and help my family be more healthy. My dad is a long time diabetic and I continue to look for foods that will be more helpful in keeping the glucose on a more even keel. I've made some financial decisions after reading articles in the paper, learned early on in 2007 about the many homes for sale or in forclosure in our area and others. I can go on and on. I don't know about anyone else but I am concerned about our world--folks in Neworleans,  N Y C,  India etc.   I have learned about different kinds of technology and appliances--helping me make more informed buying decisions. Did you know TJ Macs clothing comes from stores such as Macy's,  I found out I can read talking book topics on Newsline if I go to the West Virginia local channel so I cancelled my subscription,  I learned that pesticides on the lawn are not  considered necessary anymore according to the Boston Globe. My husband insists on physically taking the dandelions out. I think they look nice.
Yes, there are recreational items on Newsline, that is part of all our lives and there are many interesting items on careers, job finding, networking and so forth.

I am still getting emails and calls asking when Newsline is going  to be turned on.

Well, guess I better get back to that Braille Reading contest.

Georgia