[nfbmi-talk] newsline ...

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 04:13:43 UTC 2010

Dear Georgia,

For what it is worth (which isn't much nowadays...grin...) I agree that
Newsline is not purely recreational, though depending on the user it can be
(i.e. choosing sports or other recreational reading is a component of all
newspaper reading). Regardless, it is a distinction without a difference in
my mind for the RSA only told MCB to use this particular grant, which has
long since expired on a different account. The fundamental point here is
that RSA was looking at old news, quite literally while in the FY 2009, and
2010 years many of the abuses and accounting issues addressed by the
monitoring actually accelerated. That includes of course the shifting of
newsline to the Department of Ed and then letting it go altogether.

Certainly no matter what MCB does have in its hot little hands in excess of
$1,00,000 in stimulus funds for elderly blind programs alone which are in
fact independent living grants with very few of the Voc. rehab. strings
attached. Certainly most (about 2.3s ) of Newsline subscribers are not in
the employment outcome loop. Thus, in my mind this would be a perfect one
time place to fund Newsline operations for years and meet RSA/Rehab Act
requirements regardless as to whether or not Newsline is purely
recreational.

I told Cannon this when he actually returned my call in support of Newsline
while I was away in Philly. He punted on addressing the issue directly. That
is likely because he is squirreling those American Recovery Act funds away
for some unknown reason and carried the bulk of them over to the next fiscal
year. Lord, knows he carried forward about two million in title I (VR)
stimulus dollars.

Where in the world is the money going in MCB?

Certainly the high end and high maintenance staff got 130 percent of
salaries and wages paid out by the end of July! That's right about ten
people inincluding Cannon and his upper echelon lackies got paid over the
budget three quarters through the fiscal year. Yet direct services of and
for actual consumers including groups of consumers like the 2,800 Newsline
subscribers were and are short changed.

But, there is a method to the madness. for, actually as you suggest the
reading of actual news informs constituents including those who are blind
about events if they do chose to read it. And an educated public is the key
to a solid democratic-republic. In fact an ignorant and uninformed public,
including, of course those who are blind actually are not free citizens with
any true input into the electoral and governing process.

Even those who wrap themselves in a flag of democracy like those blokes in
MCB, but who hide information or manage it in a way so that the public is
ignorant are nothing short of tyrants.

What do all totalitarians from all perspectives do in common? They either
dictate or otherwise control information flow and actual facts; or through
other means of control manage it so that the mass of people are ignorant,
uninformed and otherwise disarmed with the tools of liberty.

Dictators like Stalin literally revised history and even "air brushed"
photos and such. Hitler and other dictators literally burned books and
controlled the mass media. Ditto for all other totalitarian regimes of all
stripes whether extreme so-called "left" or "extreme right" or whether
rigidly controlled by some sort of interface with ideological groups oand
corporate cabals.

It is as old as ancient Egypt when some subsequent Pharaoh wished to destroy
history of a predecessor he did it liberally and lite3rally chiseled the
person out of history... From obelisks to tablets....

This is why I do not see the assault on Newsline alone as an assault against
us but one, that is nonetheless very important. Frankly, taking it away is
just another of many means of controlling information and truth which lead
to empowerment of the blind in this world.

Shoot, the point is that if we are ignorant as to events around us we can be
controlled and corraled like sheep.

You know we'll all be in our place.

I, for one am not owned however by these paternalistic (at best) monsters
and tyrants.

And, not to diminish at all Newsline, but even if we fail, which I hope we
don't in saving it here in Michigan there are other vehicles to inform and
liberate us and those who chose to be liberated.

We are working on one right now and I submit that we must help as much as
possible to bring those folks not on the internet even the elderly blind
into it as soon as tractable.

I sorely bemoan the things that are going on with our democracy over all;
and the fact that all government regardless as to Party control must be
open, accessible, transparent and accountable to we the people. All the
people! Including, most certainly those of us who just so happen to be
blind.

The assaults on our ability to readily access information are clear cut from
newspapers to books to public documents, but they are only an extreme
example a collapsing democratic society that is informed, knowledgeable and
thus wise.

Thus, conversely we, the organized and informed blind can help combat the
decline of our over all democracy if we succeed in these informational
battles. It is precisely because we are such a minority that this is true.

Anyway forgive the ramble, but Newsline and all equal access to all
information is very significant for not only we who are blind but for our
society over all from a number of standpoints.

Information and access to it is empowerment. Denial of access to the full
range of information is enslavement. It is that simple.

Peace with Justice,

Joe