[nfbmi-talk] nfbmi-talk Digest, Vol 53, Issue 41

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 05:15:39 UTC 2010

Hi Lydia,

Hopefully you will never have to cut a cat out of a christmas tree using
wire cutters like my husband  did. I  probably could have done it but I
think someone would  had to stay with the cat and then where are those darn
wire cutters, here at the house or in that darn workshop of my husbands, on
his tv tray--yes we still have one here he.

My advice  for trimming Christmas  trees is--take it easy and enjoy.
Speaking of blindness issues, several years ago, the man at our church in
charge of signing up volunteer bell ringers for the Salvation Army   would
not let me sign up. Well, finally he moved out of state and the two helpers
since him have signed me up. They were surprised when my husband said he
wasn't going. Well, let's just say he is from Arkansas and is not fond of
cold weather. So progress is being made, though slowly. Keep studying the
braille, practicing with that cane any of you who are still working on these
things. I will read again  scripture in April and my practice while I am in
this reading contest has helped me began to work on recognition of whole
words rather than a letter at a time. Sometime, I make a mistake; like fred
once said--"Did you learn anything from the experience." I try not to be
hard on myself.

Once A rehab teacher  from the commission a couple of years ago told me that
I should have learned so and so by now. However, I know employees of the MCB
who possess less braille skills and who have told me themselves that they
felt I worked well with muy dog because I walked from the bus station to the
commission and well they came with a driver. So I guess it is how you look
at things. We both got  to the meeting. This latter person happened to be
blind.

Georgia