[nfbmi-talk] A Brief Explanation of Order of Selection

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:38:32 UTC 2010

Hello List,

Someone asked me a question about order of selection off list, and I thought I would post my answer for all to read. I know that some concepts about the rehabilitation system are difficult for some to understand, so I thought I would offer a basic explanation of order of selection and how it works.

Currently the Michigan Commission for the Blind does not have an order of selection in place. This means that it presumably has the capacity to serve all individuals that walk through their door with all of the services they need to obtain their vocational goal. However, when an agency does not have the resources, whether it is financial or personnel, they may need limit the number of consumers they serve or the amount of services they deliver to consumers. The tool they use to determine who is eligible to receive services when there is a shortage of resources is called an order of selection.

As I understand it, when an order of selection is put into place, people are assigned to different categories based on whether they have a significant   disability or less significant disability. From today’s Service Delivery Design Team meeting, it appears as though the number of categories and how these categories are defined are determined by each state agency. There was some discussion today as to how well the various categories are defined by the Michigan Commission for the Blind, and whether or not this section of the policy manual needed to be updated to reflect federal regulations.

I am sure that there is more that could be said about this subject, but for now I just wanted to provide a basic explanation for those who may have never heard of such a thing before. Hopefully it makes sense. If others who have more knowledge in this area would like to make additional comments on this subject, please feel free to do so.

Elizabeth