[nfbmi-talk] braille reading contest and tips

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 17 01:35:18 UTC 2010

They ask you to time yourself three times for one minute each time while reading the same passage. Then, count the number of words
each time. Then, take the average of the three counts. In the instructions from last year, the categories were explained.
As to reading tips, here are a few.
Do not move your lips as you read. Silent readers read faster. Make sure you are comfortable and use many fingers on the Braille.
Many fingered readers read faster.
Use both hands to read. Usually, faster readers read most of the line with whichever hand is more sensitive, and finish out the line
with the other while the hand that is dominant or more sensitive  finds the beginning of the next line. This is not necessarily
always the case though.
Use a typing form for your hands while reading. The tips of the fingers are used. Your hands should not be flat on the page.
Try not to rub back and forth. Nick recommends circle reading, where you pick up your hand, and place it back at the beginning of
the next line. This is much faster than retracing the words you have just read. Circle reading is especially essential when using a
Braille display. These will improve your speed with practice. They are not meant to frustrate anyone, but just to help us all get
faster.
Nick and Terri