[nfbmi-talk] global village educational experience for kids and adults

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 18:33:52 UTC 2010

This is in Howell at the Nature center. There are a variety of packages from a 2 hour  trip to a overnight experience.
Here is some info. Thought it m nay be a good trip for blind youth?
Georgia
Global Village

                                 To Home Page
                                Heifer Description
                                What to Bring

                               Heifer Global Village
                                 Global Village Packing List

                                 Global Village Descriptions

                               Become a part of an exciting program at the
                                Howell Nature Center. Working as partners with
                                Heifer International, the Nature Center is
                                offering this exciting program. Bring your group
                                to participate in a hands-on day or overnight
                                program designed to educate children and adults
                                about global issues. Through education that
                                emphasizes experience, participants will gain a
                                greater awareness of world hunger, poverty, and
                                population issues.

                              Rural American Home

                              The Heifer Global Gateway is a
                              unique learning tool that
                              gives groups and
                              individuals an opportunity
                              to experience the realities
                              of life for most of
                              our world neighbors.
                                     Hunger is not only a problem in developing
                              countries, but also
                              in the United States. Thirty-one million people
                              live in
                              households that experience hunger or the risk of
                              hunger.
                              Children learn to appreciate the benefits in their
                              lives and how
                              they can make a difference!

                              Working in partnership with Heifer Project
                              International, one of
                              the goals of the Howell Conference and Nature
                              Center is to
                              educate people about the root causes of hunger and
                              poverty.

                              Participants begin their experience with an
                              orientation to
                              Heifer International and the Howell Conference &
                              Nature Center.
                              Your group will participate in discussions on
                              world hunger,
                              sustainable development and other global issues. A
                              visit to our
                              Heifer Global Village will take you to houses that
                              represent
                              Nepal, rural America, Africa, Urban Slums,
                              Thailand, and
                              Shantytowns.
                               One out of every six children in rural America
                                suffers in poverty. Many can't read because they
                                don't have glasses. Drinking water is often
                                contaminated. Many don't receive their basic
                                immunizations
                                and few have health insurance.

                               Life in the Heifer Global Village

                                             Africa                        Urban
                              Slums                    Thailand
                              Rural America
                              By U.S. standards you're poor. By Heifer Global
                              Village standards, you're well off. You have
                              the only supply of firewood and an indoor cooking
                              stove. Cooking fuel is a concern for half the
                              worlds' people.

                              Nepal
                              Be a wealthy farmer, by community standards, as
                              you live in your fine block-construction house.
                              Your garden gives your family a supply of
                              nutritious vegetables and your animals
                              provide labor and milk.

                              Urban Slums
                              A simple dwelling with a dirt or wood floor is
                              your home. Half the world's population lives like
                              you. A half-cup of uncooked rice may be all you
                              have to eat unless you can trade labor to
                              your wealthier neighbors.

                              Africa
                              Your round home with a thatched roof is middle
                              class by world standards. You have access
                              to milk and a good supply of fresh drinking water.

                              Shanty
                              Lacking adequate housing necessities, these homes
                              are found in the U.S. on the border with
                              Mexico and in South America. A small portion of
                              rice and eggs may be all you have to eat.

                              Thailand
                              Your traditional stilt-type construction can be
                              found in the mountain of northern Thailand. The
                              area underneath your house is an "ideal" barn for
                              your livestock.
                              Peru
                              A small barn and corral are now housing three
                              Alpacas! Peru homes are made of mud and Alpaca
                              manure. a traditional style mud hut is now
                              included.

                               Programs for Everyone

                               Global Village Tours: Our two-hour tour will
                              begin with a short introduction to Heifer
                              International and
                              the Howell Conference & Nature Center's mission.
                              During the tour of the Heifer Global Village
                              homes, world hunger and population issues will be
                              highlighted.
                              Cultural Connections: During our half-day program,
                              your group will experience the two-hour program
                              with the addition of a more in-depth look at world
                              cultures. The focus will include the preparation
                              of a
                              meal from the highlighted culture.
                              Global Gateway: For an interactive approach, our
                              overnight program provides participants a
                              first-hand
                              experience with global issues. Divided into
                              "family" groups, given basic resources
                              (representative of
                              what they may have if they actually lived in the
                              country assigned), and placed into world sites,
                              groups must trade to meet their basic needs,
                              prepare their evening meal and settle in for the
                              night. They are
                              truly immersed in the culture they are assigned
                              to. This is a life-changing experience.
                              Global Challenge: The ultimate hands-on
                              experience! This program includes our
                              life-altering Global Gateway overnight program
                              with the incredible challenge of our High Ropes
                              experience. Just like the
                              Global Gateway, participants spend a day "living"
                              the life of another culture with only basic
                              resources.
                              This includes preparing an evening meal and
                              sleeping in the village houses. The following
                              afternoon you
                              will climb into tall pine trees to conquer
                              obstacles made of rope and wood 25-35 feet above
                              the ground.
                              You set your own personal challenge as you move
                              from obstacle to obstacle and down the zip line.
                              Each task brings new challenges, thrills and fun.
                              The obstacles in the Ropes Course are simply
                              different kinds of challenges than those faced by
                              participants in the Global Village. The Course
                              brings
                              home the opportunity to overcome difficult
                              situations and have a great time doing it!
                              Participants gain a
                              deeper sense of their commitment to each other,
                              their communities and the world. You will leave
                              prepared to work together and take action for a
                              world without hunger or poverty.
                              For more information on our Heifer Global Village,

                              please contact our main office at 517-546-0249.
                              What Our Customers Say
                              "I loved the field trip! I experienced that some
                              people aren't rich and some people are poor but
                              most
                              people don't have anything. I loved the food. I
                              feel bad for those that have barely any food.
                              Sincerely, Ariana".
                              "Thank you very much for letting me come. My
                              favorite part of Global Village was cooking the
                              food because I love to cook. I also loved how we
                              got to know about where people live. I hope one
                              day I can come again. Sincerely, Emily",
                              "We enjoyed trading and learning a language.
                              Phillip was a great leader even with a difficult
                              group due to big age differences. Excellent staff
                              both for Heifer Global Village and the High
                              Ropes Course. Thanks to all the Nature Center
                              staff for a great experience!"

                                             Webster United Church