[nfbmi-talk] Fw: official request for information and accommodation

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 2 18:38:51 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: joe harcz Comcast
To: Farmer, Mel (DELEG)
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: official request for information and accommodation

Mr. Farmer:

This from Section 504 regulations is only a partial response. Please read them very, very carefully.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.
§ 104.4   Discrimination prohibited.

                  (a) General. No qualified handicapped person shall, on the

basis of handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of,

or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activitiy which

receives Federal financial assistance.

                  (b) Discriminatory actions prohibited. (1) A recipient, in

providing any aid, benefit, or service, may not, directly or through

contractual, licensing, or other arrangements, on the basis of handicap:

                  (i) Deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to

participate in or benefit from the aid, benefit, or service;

                  (ii) Afford a qualified handicapped person an opportunity to

participate in or benefit from the aid, benefit, or service that is not equal to

that afforded others;

                  (iii) Provide a qualified handicapped person with an aid,

benefit, or service that is not as effective as that provided to others;

                  (iv) Provide different or separate aid, benefits, or services

to handicapped persons or to any class of handicapped persons unless such action

is necessary to provide qualified handicapped persons with aid, benefits, or

services that are as effective as those provided to others;

                  (v) Aid or perpetuate discrimination against a qualified

handicapped person by providing significant assistance to an agency,

organization, or person that discriminates on the basis of handicap in providing

any aid, benefit, or service to beneficiaries of the recipients program or

activity;

                  (vi) Deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to

participate as a member of planning or advisory boards; or

                  (vii) Otherwise limit a qualified handicapped person in the

enjoyment of any right, privilege, advantage, or opportunity enjoyed by others

receiving an aid, benefit, or service.

                  (2) For purposes of this part, aids, benefits, and services,

to be equally effective, are not required to produce the identical result or

level of achievement for handicapped and nonhandicapped persons, but must afford

handicapped persons equal opportunity to obtain the same result, to gain the

same benefit, or to reach the same level of achievement, in the most integrated

setting appropriate to the person's needs.

                  (3) Despite the existence of separate or different aid,

benefits, or services provided in accordance with this part, a recipient may not

deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to participate in such aid,

benefits, or services that are not separate or different.

                  (4) A recipient may not, directly or through contractual or

other arrangements, utilize criteria or methods of administration (i) that have

the effect of subjecting qualified handicapped persons to discrimination on the

basis of handicap, (ii) that have the purpose or effect of defeating or

substantially impairing accomplishment of the objectives of the recipient's

program or activity with respect to handicapped persons, or (iii) that

perpetuate the discrimination of another recipient if both recipients are

subject to common administrative control or are agencies of the same State.

                  (5) In determining the site or location of a facility, an

applicant for assistance or a recipient may not make selections (i) that have

the effect of excluding handicapped persons from, denying them the benefits of,

or otherwise subjecting them to discrimination under any program or activity

that receives Federal financial assistance or (ii) that have the purpose or

effect of defeating or substantially impairing the accomplishment of the

objectives of the program or activity with respect to handicapped persons.

                  (6) As used in this section, the aid, benefit, or service

provided under a program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance

includes any aid, benefit, or service provided in or through a facility that has

been constructed, expanded, altered, leased or rented, or otherwise acquired, in

whole or in part, with Federal financial assistance.

                  (c) Aid, benefits or services limited by Federal law.  The

exclusion of nonhandicapped persons from aid, benefits, or services limited by

Federal statute or executive order to handicapped persons or the exclusion of a

specific class of handicapped persons from aid, benefits, or services limited by

Federal statute or executive order to a different class of handicapped persons