[nfbmi-talk] yup got my own dang records and more

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 15:32:48 UTC 2010

This was an OCR case closure in which I fought to get all my NH VR records in accessible format and a timely manner related to my own case. Moreover I forced NH VR and other state agencies to put systems in place for providing this information in all accessible formats to people who were blind throughout the State of N.H.

This is but one OCR complaint that I filed against the NHVR and its blindness services.

What are we facing today in Michigan? Rampant violations of the ADA from MCB itself and that goes to the provision of information in accessible formats to employees, clients, and members of the general public who are blind or VI in accessible formats.

It is outrageous that twenty years after the passage of the ADA this entity, which is supposed to be the most accessible to the blind (it is after all the Michigan Commission for the Blind) is so non-responsive and so across the board volatile of our civil rights in these regards. And the ADA and 504 are indeed civil rights laws.

Signed,

Joe Harcz who is more than outraged with the abuse....

OCR Closure of NH BR Alternate Frmat System Case including Access to Personal Files

Mr. Paul J. Harcz, Jr.

michiganadapt at pcpeople.com

1365 East Mount Morris Road

Mount Morris, Michigan 48458

                                                                        Re:  Complaint No. 01-00-3001

Dear Mr. Harcz:

In an effort to resolve this complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), the New Hampshire Department of Education/Vocational Rehabilitation (NHDE/VR) agreed, with respect to communication with you and other persons with disabilities who may need communications in alternative formats, that NHDE/VR would abide by the communication standards adopted by the New Hampshire Governor’s Commission on Disability on September 13, 2000.  In addition, NHDE/VR agreed to use those standards as its interim standards until such time as an agency or statewide departmental policy was formally approved.

OCR has now determined, based on a review of materials submitted by NHDE on November 4, 2002, that NHDE has completed its commitments described above.  Specifically, on June 20, 2002, the New Hampshire Statewide Rehabilitation Council adopted a policy on providing NHDE/VR communications in accessible formats and policy and procedures for providing customer files in accessible formats.

Based on NHDE’s actions, OCR is closing its monitoring of this complaint effective the date of this letter.  We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.  If you have any questions, please telephone me at (617) 223-4146, or Ruth Ricker at (617) 223-9680 or by email at ruth.ricker at ed.gov.

                                                                        Sincerely,

                                                                        J. Michael Burns

                                                                        Program/Legal Coordinator