[nfbmi-talk] complaint ada

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 18:16:16 UTC 2010

Hi Joe,

Good job.

Thanks.

Warm Regards,

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org]
On Behalf Of joe harcz Comcast
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:43 AM
To: Joel Hoffman DTMB ADA Coordinater
Cc: nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] complaint ada

complaint ada documents dtmb        Dear Joel,

As with many documents on DTMB's own web sites they are inaccessible to
people with disabilities including those of us who are blind. In fact they
violate DTMB's own internal policy on the issue.

Here's some cases in point. I've gone to the following DTMB url at:
http://www.michigan.gov/dmb/0,1607,7-150-41524-140296--,00.html

When I click on many of the referenced pdf documents and do a quick check of
my Jaws screen reader for accessibility I'm informed that the document has
no text. In other words these and many, many important DTMB documents
themselves are just as inaccessible to us as if we were given the print
document in the first place for our screen reading technology goes blind
too.

Moreover, there is no ready way for us to make requests for similar
information in a timely manner and this leaves us with a case by case issue
for apparently DTMB has not followed its obligations to act affirmatively in
these regards (re: Tyler v. Manhattan for affirmative obligations of Title
II entities to ensure effective communications systemically and not simply
on an ad hoc basis).

Moreover, the timeliness issue is certainly at stake here as is most
obvious.

Regardless this stands as a complaint against the DTMB and I would hope that
all inaccessible image based pdf documents on all of its web sites are made
accessible forthwith.

Sincerely,

Joe Harcz