[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Melvin Farmer Personne/Compensationl Records

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 20:05:02 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Farmer, Mel (DELEG)
To: 'joe harcz Comcast'
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:02 PM
Subject: FW: Melvin Farmer Personne/Compensationl Records

April 12, 2011

RE: Freedom of Information Act Request; Melvin Farmer Personnel Files

Mr. Paul Joseph Harcz:

1365 Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Dear Mr. Harcz:

This notice is in response to your April 5, 2011 email request (attached) for copies of nonexempt public records under the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231 et seq., you describe as the personnel file of Mr. Melvin Farmer, including salary and other annual compensation.

Pursuant to MCL 15.235, Section 5(6)(c) of FOIA, your request is partially granted and partially denied.

As to the granted portion of your request, after a search for records, to the best of the Department's knowledge, information, and belief the Department does possess records responsive to your request. However, pursuant to MCL 15.234, Section 4(3) of the FOIA based on the estimated amount of labor involved and the amount of material to be examined to separate exempt from nonexempt material, the Department must assess its costs to process this request. In this particular instance, failure to charge for the costs of labor to search for records; examine/review; delete/separation exempt from nonexempt information; and duplicate records would cause the Department to incur unreasonably high costs for these activities that are excessive and beyond the normal, or usual amount for these services. The estimated, allowable cost to process this request is $287.74 as illustrated below (hourly labor costs include benefits):

--Labor Costs:

  -Searching/Copying: General Office Assistant 5 @ $25.10/hr X 1 hr =$ 25.10

  -Examining/Redacting: State Administrator 17 @ $62.34/hr X 2 hr    =$124.64

--Records to Copy: 520 pages @ $.25/page=$130.00

--Postage:=$8.00

      Total Estimated Costs=$287.74

Before continuing to process this request, the Department requires the payment of $287.74 sent to:

    STATE OF MICHIGAN

    Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth

    Office Services Mailroom

    7150 Harris Drive, P.O. Box30015

    Lansing, MI 48909

Upon the receipt of payment, the Department will continue processing this request and notify you of any statutory disclosure exemptions claimed; applicable remedial/appeal rights; and any balance of processing costs due the Department or owed to you.

Sincerely,

Melvin Farmer, Jr.

(517)373-0194

Attachment