[nfbmi-talk] Rehab Counsellors

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 00:32:16 UTC 2011

Hi larry,

The points you raise arerelevent.  In "handicap or characteristic", Dr
jernigan clearly states ther are 2 opposing and conflicting views of
rehabilitation. One is a paternalistic negative view that the professional
is in a quasi-caretaker role, while the other is that the professional is an
equal who has a role to assist or, maybe, coach to believe in each client to
encourage and be a role model.  This is a big difference.

I really like the feeling that Cheryl conveyed about a new generation of
rehab counselor.  I sure hope so.michigan State is usually more progressive
than other schools.

warmest regards,

Fred