[nfbmi-talk] Rehab Counselling

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Fri Apr 15 03:22:57 UTC 2011

Hello,

Fred, you mentioned how, at NFB programs, counselors invite students to
their homes for meals. That's a great idea for a program that's
self-contained, and I think I would feel comfortable doing that in such a
situation. But for ethical reasons, counselors feel they might compromise
their relationships with clients if they become too friendly outside the
office. It's kind of like my reporting career: if your beat is city hall and
you hang around at the city manager's house for BBQ, some might consider you
suspect.

Of course, counselors should above all be caring, loyal to their clients,
considerate of clients' needs above those of the status quo or outside
parties. They should, and indeed are commanded to, practice beneficence and
justice toward clients. That sometimes means treating all clients in a
similar way -- though not alike. So, if there are cuts and prioritization of
services, we must handle emergency situations but must not push some clients
ahead of others

You guys are tough, and I like that. But I hope you give some of us newly
emerging counselors a chance. I would encourage clients to tell their
counselors when they're unhappy.

Fred, you also mentioned how counselors should take the lead role in finding
jobs for clients. There is considerable discussion about that. I believe
that counselors should encourage clients to take as much responsibility as
they are comfortable doing, but prepare them for that level of independence.
The reason is that, if we don't encourage that kind of personal
responsibility in the counseling venue, we might unwittingly be making
clients more dependent, not less so, and patronizing them by making them
feel that the job search is the counselor's agenda. It is the client, after
all, who will be working at that job for awhile and should be comfortable
and happy as possible with it.

Cheryl Wade