[nfbmi-talk] audible commics?

fred olver goodfolks at charter.net
Thu Aug 25 22:05:57 UTC 2011

This is off topic but interesting in that fiction has always depicted visually impaired as either amazing or pathetic. This appeared in the Matilda Ziegler this week. Feature Writer Alena Roberts - Audio Version of Daredevil Vol. 1 "The Blind Super Hero" DeA

In 1964, a new hero was born. Matt Murdock is an attorney by day and a crime fighter by night, but Daredevil has a special handicap that that other super heroes don't--he's blind. The character was blinded in an accident, which heightened his other senses. Since its creation, Daredevil has been turned into a TV series and a movie, but the comic has never been put into an audio format. After receiving many letters from blind fans, the team that creates Daredevil comics decided to make an audio version of the newest comic.

The audio version includes some of the artists, writers, and producers of the comic doing both narration and character voices. One of the highlights is that the audio version includes the panel notes that the writer made, which gives us an insight into not only what the panel illustration includes, but the purpose behind it. During the reading we learn about some of Daredevil's powers, including radar vision and acute hearing of people's heart beats. The reading really brings the story to life for those of us who can't see the art.

I remember as a kid enjoying reading the comics in my newspaper, but I never got into comic books. I also never realized that there was a blind super hero. I hope that this reading is enjoyable to people as much as it was for me. I also hope that this reading is a real treat for those former Daredevil readers who might not have enough vision to enjoy the comics anymore. The audio version is a free service that the creators are providing for the first issue, and maybe if they get enough positive feedback, they'll decide to record more audio versions of upcoming editions.

Here is a link to the article describing the creator's reasons for making the audio edition. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/marvel-launches-daredevil-audiobook-with-visually-impaired-fans-in-mind/2011/08/16/gIQAAihqJJ_blog.html

Here's the link to the audio edition of Daredevil Vol. 1: http://marvel.com/files/podcasts/DAREDEVIL_1_edited.mp3
###

http://www.dealingwithvisionloss.com  For some of us it's a way of life and for some of us it just makes life easier. Fred Olver