[nfbmi-talk] Washington Seminar Update

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 05:48:11 UTC 2011

Hi J.J.,

I am afraid I didn't make the meeting either. Things have been crazy around
here!

Thanks for all your hard work with Washington Seminar. I haven't been--well
it was before 9/11. I have been quite a number of times years ago. I used to
save the letter from year to year and just  change what I needed to change.
Back then we emailed them but I know things are different now. I am sure
your letter is fine.

Perhaps you and others know this--but anyway you  can ask for print copies
of A state Guide to State Government or a title similar to that.

Your state rep has them and also in Braille. I need to get a Braille one.
Once they even dropped it by my house. I have to get to know this new state
rep in Lansing.

At any rate, this guide also has the Washington  reps and senators, phones
and addresses for those of us who want a hard copy of this guide.
Boy have the rooms went  up but I like that Holiday Inn. Do you still get a
coupon for ice cream sundaes?  Well, hopefully you have some sort of perk.

We used to get to the Rayburn office building to get the hot corn bread
sold in the morning in the cafeteria. Once a bunch of us were walking
somewhere in the tunnels-- and Dr. Nemeth. He was the only one that figured
out we were  walking the wrong way. We had to retrace our steps and the day
before I had fallen down the steps in the hotel and sprain my ankle. It
really hurt since I had injured it before. Well,  I went anyway. I knew my
ankle would just stiffen up more if I didn't walk on it. -it was a long
retrace.

My cane skills were  not too good.

Before 9/11 sometimes weird looking characters would hang out after offices
closed--the day  sort of near the doors of the  Rayburn building. Being from
a small town, I was sort of leery  and I would hang out if by myself and
walk out with another woman so I wouldn't be alone. We us seemed to always
have a nice time and sometimes we even had time to sightsee which wasn't too
often. We did hit the gift stores in the senate building and the one at the
Space Center. I normally went on the trip to Baltimore because at the time
they were making many changes to the  complex there and I always enjoyed
seeing many of the staff.

I just hope your weather is good there.  When it snowed  when I was there
you just had to jump over drifts if you did some walking or even when
getting out of cabs to go out to eat.
I think Washington Seminar is the best experience a person can have with the
NFB.  Those that know a lot of other people normally introduce the new guys
to others and I enjoyed meeting people from all over. It would take me a
long time for me to describe all my experiences. I am sure others have done
many things more notable but at any rate; it is really a  learning
experience, fun and in  the case of the person who sends the letters, makes
the appointments--a lot of work that can be fun also.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

 Best,
Georgia