[nfbmi-talk] parolee accused of stealing funds for blind camp

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 22:50:42 UTC 2011

Parolee accused of stealing funds for blind camp | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Parolee accused of stealing funds for blind camp

By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Waterford Police investigators have arrested a 46-year-old parolee they believe stole a collection container for a camp for the blind from a Waterford party

store.

David Earl White, 46, was arraigned Saturday in 51st District Court on one count of larceny after the collection container disappeared Jan. 3 from Anthony’s

Pizza & Party Shop at 1435 Airport Road.

Waterford Police made the arrest after video surveillance pictures were posted on metro Detroit news Web sites and aired on television last week.

“We actually received three anonymous tips that led us to a location here in Waterford,” Waterford Police Detective Larry Novak said today, adding that

investigators never found the container. “We knew who we were looking for based on the tip.”

Anthony's employees called police Jan. 6 when a representative from the camp picking up the container discovered it was missing. When they reviewed the

store's security tapes, investigators spotted a customer buying groceries at 11:19 p.m. Jan. 3, then grabbing the canister and stuffing it in his grocery

bag.

White was ordered held on $10,000 cash bond. But investigators discovered he was wanted by the Michigan Department of Corrections for being an absconder

of parole since April 2009 for a larceny conviction. White also had local warrants from May 2009 for a traffic infraction and possessing narcotic equipment.

His next court appearance in Waterford is scheduled for Jan. 20.

graphics/todayspaper125

Subscribe to Detroit Free Press home delivery and receive a SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY OFFER.

David Earl White   (Waterford Police Department)

David Earl White (Waterford Police Department)

http://www.freep.com/article/20110117/NEWS03/110117038/1322/Parolee-accused-of-stealing-funds-for-blind-camp