[nfbmi-talk] Jo Ann Pilarski Resignation

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 13:17:16 UTC 2011

Dear Fred,

I hold no personal anomosity towards Pilarski. But, I totally disagree in
regards to competence and pperformance. For she stated once again only a few
weeks ago that she really didn't know what a state plan was for more than
eight years after being the chair. She actually has been in office longer
than the two three year terms denoted in the Rehab Act that she apparently
has not read in spite of me personally sending it to her. (By the way the
general rehab agency in Massachusetts got cited for the same issue in their
2009 monitoring report).

Pilarski has ignored for years the severe violations of the rehab act, the
ADA and section 504.

And the worst thing is she allowed the perception and the accomplished deed
to be that the "chair" was the commission. And she let cannon run affairs
from writing his own "report card" to setting meeting agendas.

Moreover Pilarski ignored the pleas of consumers over years to clean things
up. She ignored the protests of advocates for the blind who had to go to the
streets to point out insane service delivery in Detroit. In fact she caved
into or was a direct part in the "bullet proof" drape paranoia in that
regard.

She allowed Cannon to run rough shod over personnell and not only Dave and
Christine over trumped up garbage but over many others in the past including
John McMahan, Bob Arnold, and many others who slowly simply burned out under
his reign of terror internal to the daily operations of MCB. That includes
excellent and caring staff and administrators like Toni VanStabern, Bernie
Kramer, the aforementioned McMahan (now running the blindnessagency in Maine
by the way) and countless BEP operators that we all know about from Fellows
to Brooks and back again.

She signed off on the 2004 single audit as if again she were the commission
and other documents in the past as well, again, including state plan
updates.

These are facts and there are more. They aren't a matter of conjecture but
purely objective reality about a public official.

Now, I certainly agree with you on some other past and potential future
commissioners here Fred.

And much goes to commissioner orientation.

I think that at a minimum commissioners should go through the SRC modules on
the RSA web site. Or for those who cannot access the web then these modules
should be provided. By the way when all the issues of the role of the
commission were going on I sent the links to those to each and every
commissioner including Pilarski at the time.

On your final point however Fred I agree wholeheartedly. Cannon has been
Director during the sad demise of MCB and he has, in countless most mavelent
and most documented actions accelerated the push of MCB right to the
proverbial, metaphorical cliff.

I cannot know what is in people's hearts, or what intents are. I can and do
know however, actions and deeds.

The former is speculative, the latter is fact based and document.

In other words Jo Anne may have a great heart and warmth. I will not dispute
that. It is irrelevant to her actions and in actions over the years. In
other words her tenure as with all public officials and fiduciaries of the
public trust is to be judged based upon the actual record.

...As is Cannon's for that matter...

Peace with Justice,

Joe