[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Jo Ann's Letter to Consumers and Staff

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 19:47:58 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Luzenski, Sue (DELEG)
To: MCB2020-L at LISTSERV.MICHIGAN.GOV
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:05 PM
Subject: FW: Jo Ann's Letter to Consumers and Staff

From: Luzenski, Sue (DELEG)
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:05 PM
To: MCB Staff
Subject: Jo Ann's Letter to Consumers and Staff

Dear Consumers and MCB Staff,

I hesitate to write this letter, knowing that each word can evoke new misunderstanding.

I thought that I would spare everyone lots of words and just state that I cannot serve anymore, but I can see that that was a mistake; without explanation, people are filling in the blanks.

With fondness for so many, and with a prayerful heart, I will try to explain.

I came to the Agency 13 years ago and received education and services which allowed me to continue in my teaching position.  I came in angry and anything but adjusted to blindness.

About the 3rd day at the TC I was going to cut out, and literally bumped into Pat, who was there just to schmooze with clients.  That says much about the Director of an Agency, no?  Pat encouraged me to stay, and sent Fred and Dave over with books and more words of encouragement.  I still believe, that in spite of the current climate, our staff folks are still working diligently to serve clients in this State.  There is, for sure, always need for continuous improvement in meeting the needs of clients, as there are always going to be in a large organization.  I absolutely do believe that there needs to be an active, ongoing and effective process to train our rehab folks and teachers and that we should embrace blind folks helping to create this process.  I had waxed and waned on this issue, when it began to go political, but Lydia and Joe have turned that process around.  Again, I hope the ideas, even if they come from without the walls of the Agency, will be embraced.

Oops. I digress.

I have always been a believer that we are here to serve one another.  When I was at the point of realizing that I could live with blindness and was able to resume my job and do it well,  it was with a grateful heart that I accepted the responsibility of serving on the CIC and  then moving onto the Board.  I do not feel that I can be effective in that role anymore for these times and this Board.

I am one of those people who have had doors open all along the journey of life to great opportunities. I don't know why that happens to some of us, while others seem to not get any breaks.  To whom much is given, however, much is expected.  This is, in part, why I accepted the Chairpersonship.

At our 25th anniversary of MCB at the TC, I heard, really heard, the role of consumers in the creation of PA 260, our Agency and our Board.  It impacted me profoundly.  From that point on, it has been my goal to be more inclusive of consumers, and about the same time Pat was moving forward with 20/20.  I came to deeply respect and admire John Victory and his dedication to helping people with great differences in personality and differences in opinion to be able to talk to one another.

In my opinion, both Agency and consumers choosing not to use John's services was the most profound loss to our Agency that we have experienced.  We were moving in a proactive, forward motion and John had a way of keeping us all accountable without putting people down, as he really cared about each of us, saw each point taken with an open mind,  and did not take sides.  Above all, he was objective and honest in his reactions.

In choosing to reject the dialog and AI process, people said, in effect, they would rather fight.  Here's my analogy about rights, and it is not new.  Two cars get in an accident because they each feel they have the right of way.  The drivers are greatly injured. (or, you could insert the word 'die').  They both went down thinking they were "right" and would not consider even the possibility of the other person being right.  So what have you got in the end.

The climate at our meetings, and in between them, is now so toxic that I now find myself in a position of having to weigh every word, as there is such animosity, as no matter what I say it will be taken up as a "side" issue.  There is no middle ground, and I am truly in the middle, as I can see merit on both sides of any issue.  I listen to hours of complaints and rebuttals, and I find myself growing two-faced, because I see each side.

Here's the truth, not to be spun in any direction.  I really like and admire many, many of you,  personally, both in the Agency and in NFB.  I haven't like the actions of a few, but actually still care about you, as well.

It's the big organizational, political stuff that I don't love, and losing one's self in all of the politics.

Quite honestly, with the new appointments and with the unity and closeness among NFB folks, my voice will mean nothing on this Board.

 While I can agree with some of the issues being raised, the tone and manner in which they are being raised is just not me.  Someone has, in a friendly manner, suggested I want adults to be easily controlled, like my\2nd graders.  Nope, I want adults to behave just like 2nd graders, who love, are honest, who share, who forgive, who are forthright and who get over it and move on.  My expectations have been created by those 2nd-graders, and they are just a hard act to follow.

However, the Chair, which we now see (and I never really got this before being sued) somehow is seen to control the Board and held liable for Board actions or inactions.

When one of our Board members writes and says that s/he will take care of people who are out of control at our meetings, and this was not a request on my part, btw) it gives a huge organizational message to me.

The good statements from our new Board members leave me feeling guilty, as I don't want to mess with wording the State Plan, RSA plans and organizational paperwork and red tape.  Had enough of that on the School Improvement team.   I don't want to monitor every action of MCB. I retired to get away from that stuff and  really do trust that MCB folks are fully capable of creating that plan, but I admire that Lydia wants to get in there and be a part of it.  My hat is off to you!

I also need to say that I have encouraged and urged leadership in the Agency to go beyond the dotting of i's and crossing of t's  and follow up the ideas which come forth with much heart.

I leave with a burden for the continuance of our Agency, as we need MCB.  I realize that there have been major hurts.  I realize that each one of us can take some responsibility in the toxic environment, either by what we have done and what we have not done.  However, the public displays - even if you have "rights" -- are, in my opinion, going to lead to something you may not want.  As a Board member and a blind person, my biggest concern was that of preserving services for blind people in our State.  It still is.

Ten years is a long time to serve on any Board, and I am thankful for the opportunity.

Regardless of what has happened politically, my prayer is that this new Board and our Director will think about the common good for all blind people, putting that before any personal agenda.

Please preserve what we have, knowing we need to improve with constructive ideas.

Blessings and peace to each of you. Do feel free to call, write or visit me.  You are always

welcome!!  I hope our paths cross again.

In ten years, I'll answer anything!!

Blessings and peace,

Jo Ann