[nfbmi-talk] Michigan Commission for the Blind History Project

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 18 16:36:04 UTC 2011

Hi Terri,

While not all you asked for here is a sstart:
>From the MCB web site at:

A Brief History of the Michigan Commission for the Blind -- Established
October 1, 1978

Brief History of Services for the Blind in Michigan,

1903 to present

For the first half of the twentieth century, services for the blind
consisted of a sheltered workshop in Saginaw and the blind concession
program.  In the

1950s, the Michigan Department of Social Services (DSS) assigned a few
caseworkers to a "blind-only" caseload to provide financial and employment
assistance.

 A few years later, the DSS combined the workshop, blind concessions, and
these caseworkers into a Division of Services for the Blind.

In the mid 1960s, a group of state legislators recognized that the
broom-making workshop in Saginaw presented the wrong image of blind workers
and should

be closed.  After studying other state programs, they decided that a new
facility should be constructed that emphasized independence rather than
sheltered

work.  As a result, the Michigan Rehabilitation Center for the Blind was
opened in Kalamazoo , in 1970, for purposes of teaching blind persons the
skills

necessary for independence.

In the mid 1970s, organized blind consumers initiated legislation to create
an agency structure where blind persons would play a major role in planning

and policy making.   This initiative led to the passage of

Public Act 260 of 1978

on October 1, 1978, creating the Michigan Commission for the Blind (MCB), a
five-member, governor-appointed commission, and requiring that at least
three

commissioners be legally blind.  The act also transferred the agency from
DSS to the Department of Labor, and made the Commission a partner with the
federal

government in providing employment services and vending facilities for blind
persons.  It also established a broad range of teaching and counseling roles

and responsibilities.

In the early 1980s, MCB gained state and federal funds to establish
independent living services for older blind individuals, and state funds to
establish

low vision services for blind and visually impaired youth.  In addition, the
vending program was expanded to include cafeterias and highway vending
locations

at welcome centers and rest stops, the center in Kalamazoo was renamed the
Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center, a statewide DeafBlind
service

was established, and formal strategic planning began with the production of
a mission statement. In 2000, MCB launched its Vision 2020 Initiative
looking

toward the year 2020 to design customer responsive service systems.  The
mission of the Commission is to assist blind persons to achieve independence
and

employment.

The 1990s have been highlighted by the Americans with Disabilities Act, a
major anti-discrimination statute designed to remove barriers in employment,
government

services and public accommodations; and, the 1992 amendments to the
Rehabilitation Act which calls for greater attention to client choice and
independent

living services.  In 1996, MCB was transferred from the abolished Department
of Labor to the Department of Consumer and Industry Services and then to the

Family Independence Agency (FIA).  In 1997, the Client Assistance Program
was privatized.  In 1998, the Workforce Investment Act was enacted,
incorporating

the newly-amended Rehabilitation Act, calling for greater interaction
between rehabilitation agencies and local Workforce Boards.

In 2003, the Michigan Commission for the Blind moved into the newly created
Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth, later renamed the Michigan

Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth (DELEG).  On October 1,
2009, Executive Order No. 2009-36 abolished the Michigan Department of
History,

Arts and Libraries and transferred that department's Service for the Blind
and Physically Handicapped (SBPH) to the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

On October 1, 2010, SBPH was renamed the MCB Braille and Talking Book
Library.

On April 24, 2011, DELEG (the department including the Michigan Commission
for the Blind) became the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory
Affairs

(LARA).

Today, the Michigan Commission for the Blind operates the MCB Braille and
Talking Book Library and the MCB (residential) Training Center in Kalamazoo,
and

provides vocational rehabilitation services, independent living services for
Michigan' s older blind population, low-vision services for the state's
youth,

DeafBlind services, entrepreneurial opportunities for blind persons through
its Business Enterprise Program, and business services to employers with
employees

who are blind or visually impaired.  MCB has a five-member board appointed
by the governor and a staff of approximately 110 in offices throughout the
state.