[nfbmi-talk] comments state plan area agencies on aging

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 14:21:12 UTC 2011

June 27, 2011

I am commenting on the vocational goals of the cooperation with area agencies on aging here see comments in State Plan after signature line.

Just how in the world are the use of title I funds to another area of State government to equip some computers with screen reading devices and magnification, especially one that deals with those beyond employment age employment related?

Moreover, consumers aren’t even given the location of these sights and believe me I’ve written requesting that information. It isn’t even on MCB’s web site.

Also the Michigan Department of Human Services the parent of these area agencies on aging has been cited in many national and state studies for being routinely extremely inaccessible to those who are blind including its own web site.

In addition in other reports MCB says they used ARRA elderly blind funds for this project.

Which is it? No one knows. Again if I wasn’t a news hound the only thing besides these very vague references known is that MCB used some money to equip one entity in Bay City with adaptive aids. And, again I only know that from a news story.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Attached from draft MCB State Plan:

MCB’s priority is to develop cooperative working relations with the Office of Aging and the Area Agency on Aging to improve and expand services to seniors and other vocational consumers with visual disabilities. The development of this partnership will expand vocational training opportunities statewide for individuals that are legally blind that are ready to enter the world of work. This cooperative agreement will provide the individuals with specific technology training leading to an array of employment opportunities.