[nfbmi-talk] what does it mean, what did he mean?

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 04:56:57 UTC 2011

A visitor to the most recent meeting of the National Association of Blind Merchants of Michigan expressed the opinion that he would,
as he put it, "hate to see an NFB-controlled program" in our state and that the NFB of Michigan was benefitting from nepotism.  I
now give you the first three definitions of nepotism obtained from Google.com for your consideration.

Does anyone here believe that any of our members or that NFBM enjoys special ties of family or close friendship to any of the
leaders of state government?  Could it be that past nepotism on a grand scale is what's behind many of the problems we face with the
Commission for the Blind today?

Read the paragraphs below and then please let us know what you think.

>From google.com, nepotism:

favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them
jobs)
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives or friends, without regard to their merit.Modern
Language Association (MLA):"nepotism." The American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural
Literacy, Third Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005. 10 Aug. 2009. . ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepotism

The favoring of relatives or personal friends because of their relationship rather
than because of their abilities
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nepotism